Recently I was chatting with a friend who shared that sometimes when she may be somewhat neglectful of her kids, she imagines the worst case scenario and thinks of it in terms of it being reported as a news story. I laughed because I do the exact same thing.
This afternoon I decided to finally get in the shower (and yes, I often wait until the afternoon to do this). Lyla was due to be up from her nap any minute. Mia was supposed to be napping in bed, but was in bed reading herself books. Chase was playing Wii downstairs. So I grabbed the opportunity and jumped in the shower. Note that the master shower is upstairs on the furthest corner from the kids' bedrooms.
As I was standing in the steamy shower, enjoying these precious minutes to myself, I had the newscaster voice enter my head. "A robbery occured in a quiet neighborhood at 1:15 pm this afternoon. The 2 year old and 5 year old children were tied up while a baby lay screaming in her bed. The house was ransacked, all while the mother was taking a long, leisurely shower out of earshot."
I quickly dismissed this as unlikely and reasoned that the real worst case scenario was baby would be screaming in bed, and 2 year old would be out of bed to find 5 year old playing video games and thus refuse to return to bed. This I could live with. (first time mothers not only would have baby monitor next to the shower on full blast, but jump out covered in soap at the sound of a cry. And yes, I did this on more than one occasion when chase was a baby) I then decided to stay in the shower longer and shave my legs and deep condition my hair.
By the time I got out of the shower, baby was still sleeping, 2 year old had fallen asleep in bed, and 5 year old was still happily playing Wii. I should have soaked in a bubble bath while I was at it.
3 comments:
you would think worst case scenario
You shave those legs! And I've never done the worse case scenario game before but I'm sure I will now...thanks a lot.
Isn't it crazy how our minds work?? Your home looks so nice--hope you are liking it.
Post a Comment