I am the teensiest bit embarrassed to admit that today was the first day I took all three of my kids to the store with me. Not that embarrassed, because it's not like I have a nanny around to watch my kids while I can run all over town. I just opt to do most errands either at night time, or when I am lucky enough to have my Mom stop by, or when Chase is in preschool. And really, who wants to take three kids with them to the store?
But here is the honest truth. Even though it is obviously preferable to go without them...or without one or two...the real reason for me not really wanting to take them all isn't because they are super hard. Because in fact today at Trader Joes they were all perfectly well behaved. And after getting juice, a cookie and a lollipop (all courtesy of TJ's) they felt like they were on fun outing and asking when they get to go back again. So, no it isn't that it is very hard. I mostly avoid taking them all with me because I feel like a circus act. With a baby in the bjorn, a toddler in the cart, and a kid stepping in front of everyone else's cart, I feel wide eyes locked on me with looks of sympathy and astonishment. And then comes my favorite comment to hear "Oh wow, looks like you have your hands full." I know it is not an ill meaning comment, but I kind of hate it and never know what to say. "Yep, I guess I do." If anyone has any clever come backs, I would love to hear it.
But today I decided to put on my brave face and take all three with me. Because I was in desperate need of milk and fruit and wasn't going to let a few expressions of pity and "hands full" comments keep us all from being hungry. And guess what, didn't get one comment (and just a few looks). Lucky for me, I think everyone was distracted by the mom with four young kids who were climbing all over the cart. I gotta find out her shopping schedule so I know when to go next time.
4 comments:
i'd pick taking your three to trader joes over taking my four to walmart any day. except i guess there are worse freakshows at walmart than my gaggle of kids. but i am amazed that you made it almost six months. that's living in the lap of luxury.
I am so glad you said circus act because that is exactly how I describe us in any store. Greg stopped letting us in his office because we are such a distraction/embarrassment. Also, I just stopped shopping pretty much all together. Saves a lot of money that way.
I feel like it became a real spectacle once all 3 of my kids are no longer in the cart and they're ALL walking in front of other people and getting looks. When people tell me I have my hands full I always reply, "Yep. That's the way I like it!"
That is one thing I am not missing about LA. What is it with the line, "You look like you have your hands full". I hope those words never come out of my mouth. Right before we moved I told Mark, "I am so sick of being LA's biggest freak of nature!
On the other hand, a nice mom day at the beach with you ladies sounds pretty amazing.
Post a Comment