Wednesday, March 21, 2012
getting things done.
I read this post my cousin wrote a few days ago and I haven't stopped thinking about what she said about being annoyed with moms who feel the need to be super productive and always have to be getting things done. (and by the way Heather you crack me up with your blatant honesty.)
I know I already touched on this topic in this post, but it is something I think about every day. Because I don't want to be one of those moms who just spend their day getting things done. Because like my cousin said, I didn't quit my career to stay home and just get stuff done. I quit to be there for my kids.
But obviously, there is still plenty stuff to get done. And unless I hire out all of my other duties (which would be wonderful but is not gonna happen) someone has gotta get it done. And let's be honest, I LOVE days that consists of having a morning run, having my fridge stocked with fresh food from the store, filling a vase with fresh flowers in a house that smells good and is clean with a delicious dinner cooking in the crock pot. Mmmmmm....doesn't reading that just make you feel good?
And of course, there is nothing wrong with that. It's the balancing act that is tricky. The learning to let go, and finding that happy medium. That is the every day struggle. It's learning to leave dirty dishes in the sink. Or leaving laundry in a heaping pile to be folded later. Or being ok with crumbs all over the floor. Letting go a little when my kids ask to read them a book or play a game or go somewhere fun, when it is so tempting to push them off and say "in a minute" to get just one more thing done, and then realize at the end of the day that the stack of books they begged to read with you are still sitting on the floor waiting to be read. (And by the way, there is still things to be cleaned up).
I think the point Heather was trying to make is to distinguish between things that need to get done, and all the other stuff we think we need to get done or we want to get done just to feel super productive. That is what I want to weed out of my life. Because I want to be more present with my kids and less distracted. I want to have more fun and be less annoyed. I want to make more memories and do less clean up. Because I will have plenty of time when they are grown to sit in my perfectly clean house and enjoy my fresh flowers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
you'd probably hate living near me because i'm always trying to "get things done." that being said, i don't neglect my kids and i think we're all pretty happy. but i get what you mean. i think everyone needs their own happy guilt-free balance and not judge other people's priorities. you know?
For me you hit the nail on the head that isn't just for this subject but really every aspect of life…that life is a balancing act. A tender one. I just try to keep that in mind w most things, finding the happy medium!
Thanks for the shout out. Also, I have made a concerted effort not to check my email on my phone when I'm supposed to be playing with the kids after reading the post you did on it a while ago. I think we could be friends is we didn't live on opposite sides of the country. Cousins will just have to do for now.
Post a Comment