Tuesday, December 27, 2011

a merry little Christmas

We had a great Christmas.  truly truly.  and I am not just talking Christmas day.  I am talking the whole dang month.  I know I had a few stressful moments, as I know will come every year, but after I got over that it was a great holiday season.  And three kids and all, we got everything done on our Christmas fun to do lists.  Including watching all of our favorite Christmas movies (including a trip to the theater to see Arthur Christmas), making gingerbread houses, baking goodies, going to the Grove, seeing the temple lights, driving down candy cane lane, going to see Santa, listening to all of our favorite Christmas songs 24/7...we did it all.   And I just felt happy all month.  And I loved telling people everywhere I went "Merry Christmas", because I am against saying "Happy Holidays" to be politically correct because guess what people, it is Christmas we are celebrating!  And it was always warmly welcomed.

I had a few wonderful moments this Christmas.  One came while sitting at Church on Christmas day.  I was  singing Christmas hymns, just feeling happy and I thought about the movie the Grinch.  How at the end of the movie after the Grinch stole all of their presents and food, the Who's still held hands around the Christmas tree and sang and were happy.  Because Christmas still came.  Because Christmas wasn't about the presents or the food.  And I sat thinking about this and about how Christmas really isn't about all the presents, which  were all opened in less than an hour.  It was about the Savior, and being with the people I love the most, and feeling so overwhelmed with love that I can hardly stand it.  That was Christmas.

4 comments:

Mark & Bek said...

Merry christmas. I wish I could have seen you before we left too. We have been liking it here, but I will definitely miss my LA friends. Say hi to the fam for us.

kelly l said...

I'm glad you had a great Christmas. And I love Chase's picture where he's jumping. Hilarious!

leigh said...

that is a great way to sum it up lolo. Christmas was great this year! and sooo glad i got that pic of Chase jumping with excitement. so cute.

Heather said...

I thought it would be a funny prank to have the Grinch come to our house this year instead of Santa...then I thought it would take way too much energy to take all the decorations down in one night. Maybe next year.