Saturday, September 3, 2011

half birthdays

I know I have mentioned this on my blog before, but when Matt and I were first married, I liked to make up outlandish family traditions we had, just to freak him out a little.  One that I told him we did was celebrate half birthdays.  And although this wasn't really true, I must admit, I do like it a little bit. 

So those with kids know that when the half mark of the year is reached, it's kind of a big deal.  Chase has been DYING to be able to tell people he is 4 and a half and has been asking me for a few months when he was turning 4 and a half.  The big day finally arrived yesterday, and Chase came running into my room first thing in the morning to announce he was now 4 and a half.   He immediately wanted me to assess if he looked a little bigger (which I told him yes), and then he promptly went into the bathroom to weigh himself (which I said was at least half a pound more than the day before).

I thought it would be fun to do something special for breakfast.  So I ran out and grabbed some donuts and we put a candle in Chase's and all sang "Happy half birthday to you".  
 Later that day, Chase insisted on another candle in his yogurt cup.  Why not.
We had to go get him soccer cleats, shin guards and  a soccer ball for his AYSO debut next week anyway, so I told him we would go get it for his half birthday present.

A few extra funnies from the day was Chase demonstrating his new four and a half year old laugh, telling me it was now easier to pick up Mia, and giving me a "half birthday surprise" by making his bed all by himself without me asking (which was my favorite, but unfortunately did not carry over to today).  He also insisted on picking out where to go to eat since it was his half birthday.  Luckily, his choice was Stone Fire so I didn't argue.  Hopefully I am not setting myself up here with a tradition I am hoping I never started a few years from now.

2 comments:

leigh said...

ohhhh man you dont even know how much i LOVE this!!!! half birthdays are my FAVORITE!!! and i love that chase loves them too. i think this is a great tradition. i cracked up at the fact of a candle in his yogurt haha that kid is hilarious. and mia looks cute in the background i love her bow

kelly l said...

i love the half birthday fever. lucky for me, i mentioned ella's half birthday in passing and that was enough for her. you might just be in for it from now on. but too bad for chase that drew will be five in 2 weeks.