Thursday, March 11, 2010

the case of the missing socks

if your house is anything like mine, you have a lot of single socks lying around. I feel like I have had SO many missing socks that belong to my kids and it has been driving me CRAZY! especially because I feel like I run a pretty organized house and can not figure out how they go in the wash as a set, and come out as one. I was convinced my washing machine was eating the socks.

Well, it turns out I was right.


I was doing laundry the other day and this is what I found:


I guess whomever designed these machines did not take tiny socks into account. At least I could never bring myself to throw out all those single socks.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I have that same problem with my washer! Luckily for me, my mother has a 6th sense for all things motherly and knew that's where my socks were hiding.

BBS said...

Woah! I can't wait to show this to Rick who never can figure the sock mystery out.

Kady said...

That is a very telling picture, but I bet the smell was just as surprising!

kelly l said...

i actually read the manual on my washer and it says to wash infant socks in a mesh bag and to check in that area. so luckily, i've been checking and i do find baby socks in there from time to time. i'm glad you finally figured it out. and i bet they did smell.

Laura said...

surprisingly, they did not smell. probably because it was my 3rd load and so they had just been rewashed for the 3rd time? funny that is what the manual says. i never got the manual since i bought it off my sis in law.

Anonymous said...

Laura you rock! Thank you for this post. I found about 15 socks in mine, lol. When I showed Ken his jaw dropped open and stayed that way for awhile. He couldn't believe it! I knew either the washer or dryer was eating Katie's socks...I just couldn't figure out how! It was driving me crazy! Thanks for easing my mind on this subject.

JS said...

That is hilarious. Good thing you checked! Socks are my least favorite thing to wear, to wash, to fold... and I hate waiting around to find the missing sock.