Tuesday, January 12, 2010

why do people have kids?


The first time Chase ever had a temper tantrum - I am talking a full out kicking and flailing tantrum - I think he was about 18 months old. And I could not stop laughing. Like tears rolling down my face laughing because it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. Well let me tell you something, they are not quite so hilarious anymore. Chase definitely woke up on the wrong side of his bed from his nap today. I think the grumpiness could be attributable to the fact that I woke him up (after a 2 and a half hour nap I wanted him to eventually go to bed tonight) coupled with the empty stomach he had after his refusal to eat lunch, his cold that is going on 6 days and doesn't seem to be improving, and some churning bowels since he continues to try and hold in his poop everyday(remember we are still potty training). This seemed to be the perfect formual for a MEGA temper tantrum. not a pretty sight. at one point during his tantrum, he stripped down ALL of his clothes - including his watch and socks - yelled "naked boy", and then continued his tantrum.


Oh, I wish the day got better. Sadly, it didn't. After Chase refused to eat dinner, had 2 time outs for bad behavior, peed all over the dining room floor, and pooped in the bath tub (not to mention that Mia was also grumpy and cried in her crib going to bed, probably because she is getting said cold, oh and I am sick too, and Matt was at young men's tonight...feel sorry for me yet?), I was starting to wonder why people actually CHOOSE to have children.
After bleaching the tub and re-bathing Chase, I was reminded of why we do what we do as I was putting his pajama pants on and he wrapped his arms tight around me. I held up his face to mine and said "Chase, listen to me. I know I sometimes get mad and frustrated with you, but I love you. I will ALWAYS love you." He paused, looked at me and said "Aw Mom, you are so cute. I love my Mommy."


I wish that was how the night ended, but alas, we next fought over brushing teeth and had a 15 minute crying ordeal over not wanting to go to bed. At least I had the one moment. Maybe, just maybe, I will consider having more kids.

8 comments:

kelly l said...

oh poor little chase. i love that picture. he just looks so tortured. hopefully today will be better.

Kady said...

You've got to take it when you can get it. Congrats to you for finding that moment in a day of chaos.

leigh said...

oh wasnt that sweet. poor little chasers. he is so cute.

Laura said...

poor chase? poor laura.

a{Jo} said...

I love this post. Poor kiddo!

Katy said...

I am so glad I'm not the only one with a tantruming almost 3-yr-old. Sometimes their cuteness is their only saving grace...

Melanie said...

I am telling you, we have the same life. Unfortunately this includes a toddler who yells, throws major tantrums, and purposely avoids pooing! I have to focis on the sweet moments too or I would go completely bonkers.

Melanie said...

that was "focus"