
My Mom likes to recall a story about me when I was about 3 or 4 years old and I refused to use a public bathroom because there were ants on the floor. Not much has changed. I have a fear of public bathrooms. I still do all in my power to avoid using them, and when I must, I try not to touch anything.
All this has changed.
You see, I have a potty trained kid. And any of you out there in my situation know exactly what I am talking about. Let's just say I don't think I have been anywhere in the last 3 weeks without the pleasure of visiting the restroom. And not only that, but 3 year olds (well almost 3 year old) don't understand the "no touching" rule in the public restroom. And they don't give you a lot of advance warning of when they need to go. You pretty much drop everything and book it to the bathroom. And I have a baby in tow. Case in point: We were at McDonald's playground a couple of weeks ago where, despite my chagrin, Chase insists on taking his shoes off (just because there are places to put shoes) and in that emergency voice he announces he needs to pee. We rush to the opposite side of the restaurant to the restroom (obviously someone without kids designed the setup) and hope nobody comes to throw away our food while we are gone. And there was no time to be putting shoes back on. Anyone who knows me must know how hard this was for me. And those socks were not allowed back inside the house.
Diapers don't seem so bad anymore.
5 comments:
haha, that is hilarious. I used to be frightened of public bathrooms until I started using them in Malaysia or using the outhouses. Now anywhere looks clean and nice to me. If only america had squating toliets...
did you seriously throw the socks away? if so, you're crazier than i thought. you'll probably hate when he gets old enough to use the restroom himself because then you lose control of what he touches and if he really washes his hands.
no i didnt THROW the socks away, they went straight to the dirty clothes. i am not THAT crazy.
OI- you make my day by laughing so hard and remembering just how difficult raising a family can be. I love to read your blog and must tell you that I use google reader--so I don't always go "into" your blog and just noticed your very clever new title..Love it!
B is so in love with Chase--she feels connected.
Totally agree!!! We are in the throws of potty training, and X had to take Keane the other day. But, the worst part is we didn't make it in time. Yeah, it was #2, awesome.
Post a Comment