Tuesday, December 8, 2009

the decision we make


I am really not going for a record number of posts in December. And I really do have a TON of things I should be doing. But I just had to get these thoughts down.


It is official. I am a full time Mom. I gave my official resignation today. I had been planning on doing this. It was even on my to do list. What I hadn't planned was feeling a little sad once it was said and done. I guess I felt like I was saying goodbye to a piece of myself. I piece that I thought defined who I was as a person. A piece that was 6 years in the making. 11 if you count working towards my degree. A piece that was more than just a Mom. As much as I complained about how hard it was when I went back to work part-time after I had Chase (And it was hard), I think I also enjoyed having a little piece that was mine. I sat down this afternoon and looked at my kids and realized that I was making this decision. And it was for them. Some people might think it is crazy to leave a good career, especially in this economy. But I know my decision was the right one. And I know I complain sometimes about being a stay at home Mom, because it is a dang hard job. With no fancy lunches or good reviews. But I am making a conscience choice. It is funny how the grass sometimes seems greener on the other side. I remember years ago before I had kids, I was at the Calabasas Commons having a business lunch and I saw a bunch of moms out with their strollers and I thought "they are SO lucky, I can't wait until I am a stay at home Mom and can just hang out all day". And then a few months ago I was out at the Americana in Glendale and I saw a bunch of people out on a business lunch and I thought "they are SO lucky, what I wouldn't give to have a relaxing lunch with adults, wearing nice clothes with no spit up on it". Obviously, there are pros and cons to each. But I choose the kids, and I think I am choosing wisely. I just need to remember this on the hard days.

9 comments:

kelly l said...

oh, that was a good post with a great picture. i love chase (sitting in his daddy-purchased sweet chair) laughing at his baby sister (who appears to be happy in her saucer, unlike her cousin who thinks it's torture to be put in there with all the boys). who wouldn't want to be those two cutie's mom? (and btw, another sweet shirt chase is wearing). you've made a decision i promise you won't regret.

kelly l said...

and i meant toys, not boys.

BBS said...

It is a very hard decision--and such a well written post. Your children are so lucky!
Thanks again for your very sweet visit and interest!!

Kady said...

I totally teared up. Love the post, love you guys. Hope to see you tomorrow night.

leigh said...

the grass is greener on the other side. i cant wait till im a mom and can just watch my kids all day! actually i cant wait till i come home next week and hang out with your kids, and then when i need a break i can just give them back to you! ha. good post, it was sweet.

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your blog. This post is the best yet!

Unknown said...

I love you so much and am so grateful that you have made this choice. I couldn't have asked for a more giving and loving mother for my children. You are the best. I love you.

Heather said...

it's crazy how alike we think sometimes. i, have yet to finish college, but many of my friends are in the workforce, and i too feel very envious at times. i feel like their lives are so much more exciting and grown-up- because they wear suits and work m-f 8-5. sometimes -ok, a lot of times- i wonder, "what the heck have i done with myself?! i am 27 and done nothing!" then i get knocked back into reality when i am rocking rowan to sleep - i, we moms, are doing the most important thing out there! we have a dang hard job- especially if you want to do it right! so, while i would like to say "i've seen the light," and know i'm doing what i am suppose to be doing- i have to be honest, i still have my hard envious filled days. and for some reason i still want to finish my degree even though i may never really use it, but there is nothing wrong with being an educated mommy :0) but i totally should have finished BEFORE kids- would have been much easier! wow, that was a long comment sorry- but your post resonated with me :0)

Shumway FAM said...

in tears. love you. what a great mama you are.