So I'm not really sure how it works, but somehow my birthday ended up on Thanksgiving again this year. Only 5 years later. Not cool leap year, not cool.
I actually didn't mind it so much this year. It kinda felt like everyone was thankful for me. At least that is what my friend told me she said she was thankful for at her dinner table. And I know she wouldn't be lying to me bout that.
But seriously, wasn't that bad. I mean, everyone had work off, everyone is in a good mood with lots of good food, and when birthday texts came in I had a "happy thanksgiving" reply to send instead of just a "thanks".
But not sure how I feel about this getting older thing. Turning 30 felt like a cool novelty. But 32? Not so much. I was going through McD's drive thru the day before Birthday/Thanksgiving (for my $1 Large DC of course) and the teenage boy taking my money asked if I was excited for Turkey Day. I replied "Yeah, and it's also my birthday!" And he said "Oh fun, Happy Birthday." And I said, "Yeah, It's not as fun because I am getting old." To which he slyly responded "Since when is 20 old?" I was driving away smiling at the cute comment when it hit me. I am already at an age where young kids have to lie about how old they think I am to make me feel better. Hmph.
On our way to my parents house for Thanksgiving/Birthday festivities, Mia, as usual, was controling what we were listening to. So we were rocking out to One Direction's "Live While We're Young" for the the 10th time that day. I mentioned to Matt that while being 31 was all about the Biebs, I guess 32 is all about 1D. Still in a minivan of course. But at least I am keeping with it. But not only does Mia control what we listen to, she also controls who gets to sing. And only the kids get to sing. But don't worry, she let's me dance. Or should I say, she demands that I dance. But not sing. Have you ever tried dancing in your car without singing? Please try it sometime. Nothing makes you feel more awkward and uncool than dancing in your car without singing. Not sure how, but singing along makes it cool, and just dancing makes it super lame. And makes me feel old(er), and realize I just don't got the same dance moves at 32 than I did when I was 22.
On the upside, I got up and did a 10 mile run on my birthday/Thanksgiving. I definitely could not do that when I was 22. So take that 32!!
5 comments:
Autumn lives One Direction too! But I still get to dance AND sing lol!
we turned a little biebs on this morning for the first time in a long time and it made me think about this dancing which no singing deal...Mia has figured out a true form of awkward torture. Let me be the first one to say, that girl is going places in life (watch out Jack Bauer!)
I'm glad your daughter dictates what you do on your birthday and most every day. But have you ever thought that there might be a reason she doesn't want you to sing? Just a thought. I love you. And 35 so rules over 32.
My kids hate it when I sing and dance in the car. I totally don't care I do it anyway. I love getting older... and somewhat wiser. Youth is over rated. ;) Happy Birthday, Laura!!
That kid in the drive through wasn't lying to you, he really thought you borrowed your mom's mini van. 32 never looked so good!
Post a Comment