Sunday, November 4, 2012

a Halloween post

Was I the only mom who breathed a sigh of relief when they woke up November 1st that Halloween was over?  Not that I don't love the holiday, I do.  I was just relieved to lift the weight of guilt off of my shoulders.  You know, the guilt that I should be doing more festive halloweeny activities.  The guilt that I should have done more decorating.  Or guilt that I needed another trip to the awful pumpkin patch.  Phew.  Now I think I'll give myself a couple of weeks off before I start stressing about Christmas.  

Although it is fun when the kids are younger to plan (and coordinate) their costumes, my kids just love deciding what they want to be for Halloween.   Chase decides about 11 months before Halloween and never waivers from his decision.  And  Mia only changed her mind once, luckily before any costumes were purchased, and then stuck with it.  So yes, I have relinquished control from their choices, but they were so very excited about what they picked. 

For the ward trunk or treat we spray painted Chase's hair black and painted his face green (as pictured above), but for actual Halloween night he opted out.  I was definitely ok with not scrubbing black out of his hair (and out of the tub) for a second time.

That picture on the left makes me laugh everytime I see it.

And princess Ariel.  For the trunk or treat she was actually wearing a little red wig thing, but didn't want to do it for Halloween.  And she decided on a different crown.  Whatever.  Can I tell you how fast it was to trick or treat with a three year old in a mermaid skirt and princess shoes?  Let's just say she got carried half the time.  Not surprising?
And some proof that we did dress Lyla up for the occasion.  I had bought her a costume, but returned it when I realized she would fit into Mia's old Tinkerbell one.  Yeah, the one and only time I made costumes.  Got to get a second use out of that.  She didn't last too long trick or treating either.  And no, she did not get her own candy bucket. 
Ariel was cold and tired and came home early.  Chase and I went back out for another hour after some of his friends came by that he wanted to join. And hit probably double of the houses in the same time without a princess dragging her heels.  Needless to say we have enough candy to feed a small village.  And while we were gone Matt found Mia like this:  


Too much Halloween?

This was our first Halloween with the kids when we did not go to our friends the Peterson's for a party and trick or treating.  Chase was so worried that we had to pass out invitations to the neighborhood so they knew we would have candy.  And was worried whether or not everyone else would have candy and knew about trick or treating.  I assured him everyone knew about Halloween. 

I really do love Halloween.  What I love most  is the community spirit you feel.  I love the interaction, all the families and kids crowding the streets and coming together for something fun and festive.  I love the extra effort so many people make to make their house fun for the neighborhood.  I love getting to see and meet your neighbors in such a fun way.  There really is not another holiday that compares and has a community interacting in the same way. 

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I absolutely love the Incredible Hulk's poses, Chase cracks me up. Your story about Mia and her shoes, reminds me of that Modern Family episode when they put dress up shoes on Lilly so she couldn't run away. How cute is Chase wanting to send invitations to people to trick or treat at his house. It looks like you guys had a ton of fun.

leigh said...

incredible hulk sure looks scary! he always knows how to do good poses for pictures. Mia almost looks scared of him in those ones together. chase is too funny. haha he would be concerned about people knowing about halloween

kelly l said...

i love all those pictures of chase and i love that he loves his little sister. he needs to pass some of that love over to drew. and that kid cracks me up.