I don't think of myself as someone who is superstitious (as opposed to my sister Leigh who has to carry around a piece of wood on her key chain to have something to knock on). It doesn't make ANY sense that by saying something - or thinking something - and putting it out into the universe that it will actually happen. But I guess a lot of life just doesn't make much sense.
Take last week when I was bragging about how it had been nearly 18 years since I had been stung by a bee. Twenty minutes later I got stung by a bee. Yup, for real.
And then take yesterday morning. I was just finishing up getting the kids their breakfast and about to start pouring myself a bowl of cereal. And I got to thinking about how this is just my favorite part of the day. The kids don't complain about breakfast food (who does?), they are happy, they play nice and entertain themselves, and I can sit down and enjoy a nice bowl of cereal and have about 5 minutes of peace. I was slicing up my banana and thinking if I was going to enjoy a little olympics or catch up on some blogs while I ate, when Mia opens up the cupboard and starts getting out the pirate booty. "um, no Mia, eat your breakfast, we don't eat that in the morning" Being the obedient child she always is, she pretends to not hear me and shoves her little fist in the bag and pops one in her mouth. I grab the bag and put it high in the cupboard out of reach (where it should reside, but sometimes I like to tell my kids to go grab their own dang snacks). And now the screaming, thrashing, tantrum ensues. I hope our walls are thick enough to not wake the neighborhood at 7:30AM, take a deep breath, pour my milk in my bowl, just desperate to hang on to some hope of having my peaceful 5 minutes. Even if I have to wear earplugs. I then hear a sound that sounds like some sort of faucet dripping. What is that? Wait, Mia stopped screaming. Oh yes, she is unloading her morning bladder on none other than the rug in the family room. Well if Mia's screaming didn't wake the neighbors, surely mine did. Guys, I already poured the milk in my cereal, remember?
I returned to my soggy bowl of cereal 10 minutes later and vowed to come up with another favorite time of day. And maybe start carrying a piece of wood on my keychain.
3 comments:
you're hilarious. you don't even want to know the craziness that was heard in this house sunday morning after the snacks that were raided while we had a babysitter and how they now have "nothing" to snack on. poor poor kids. sorry about the pee on the carpet.
awesome.
hahahaha my keychain comes in handy!!! how can you ever get mad though at those two cute faces??
Post a Comment