Monday, August 6, 2012
too old?
Several weeks back I sat in front of the mirror at the hair salon talking with the stylist about how much I wanted to take off my hair. I had planned on maybe 2 inches, tops. But as I stared at my reflection I got to feeling old and thinking who does this thirty something think she is having super long hair. I am too old for this. I ended up cutting off four inches, to a length I felt appropriate for a thirty one year old.
I recently had a friend ask me where I shop. I felt very flattered, and then sheepishly replied that I bought a lot of clothes at H&M and Forever 21...you know, probably the same places her 15 year old shops. Later I thought I should have also mentioned the Gap. I shop the Gap! And Nordstrom Rack on occasion! That sounds more acceptable for a thirty something, mother of three.
So I have been doing a lot of self reflecting lately, not necessarily on what my outward appearance needs to be at 31, but what kind of person I want to be at 31. Because really, we are always just a work in progress. Constantly trying to evolve to that person we want to be. I thought if I maybe put it out here in writing, I will be held more accountable.
- I want to be kind. To everyone.
- I want to forgive easily.
- I want to have a heart desiring and willing to serve others.
- I want to be a present Mother.
- I want to be honest. I don't want my motives ever questioned.
- I want to see the good in people. Give them the benefit of the doubt.
- I want to be a good friend. A constant that they can always rely on.
- I want to be confident. Sure of myself, not needing to compare.
- I want to be a loving wife. Make my husband's life easier. Less nagging.
- I want to keep my bond with my extended family strong. Check in with them and be concerned for them.
- I want to be positive and fun. Someone people want to be around.
- I want to gossip less. I want to think of my motive before I share.
- I want to be more in tune with the spirit. I want to be more faithful.
Truth be told, I miss my 4 inches (minus the split ends), and I like my $10 F21 skinny jeans. Maybe I'm not too old for this all yet. I know I am not too old to still become who I want to be. But will someone please have an intervention with me if I'm borrowing Mia's clothes when she is a teenager? Thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Those are really great things to want. If only I can grow up to be like my cousin lo-lo.
i dont think you are too old. just hip :) and i will intervene on being too much of a teenager as a mom. you cant be that kind of mom!
When I grow up I want to be a hot grandma. I'm ok with being a frumpy mom as long as I can be a hot grandma.
This makes me laugh. Probably because I also shop at Forever 21, H&M, and wear my hair too long. I cannot honestly remember the last time I spent money for myself at a more age appropriate store. Good post though, I think you are doing a pretty good job
I like your list. I remember wondering if I was too old to shop at American Eagle several years ago until Aunt DeAnn came to visit wearing an American Eagle shirt and I figured I was ok. And she looked good.
When skinny jeans became popular I found a pair I wanted to buy and then thought, " Am I too old for these?" Nope! Love wearing skinny jeans.
Love all your thoughts about who you are and want to be. You are absolutely wonderful every way.
Post a Comment