Sunday, August 19, 2012

last summer hurrahs

Is the end really here?  Although the soaring temps outside seem to be telling me summer isn't even close to being over, the calendar begs to differ.  Before we closed out our summer we made one last trip up to Utah for a wedding and some time with the sis. 

Let me tell you, I am starting to learn a thing or two about doing hard things.  Let's just say I was NOT looking forward to the trip to Utah.  Not that I didn't want to see my family (this was the only reason I didn't bail out...and the fact I already told the kids)...it was that 12 hour car trip with THREE kids.  TWELVE HOURS!  I don't like doing hard things.  Have I told you that?  And I might get a lot of flack for it (and guess what, I don't care.)  But after WEEKS of anxiety about the TWELVE HOUR car trip, and many close calls to calling the whole trip off, guess what...... wasn't that bad.  We had our rough moments.  But don't I every day anyway?  I'll even commit to doing it again...in a year.  All that anxiety was kind of a waste of time.  Even if the whole trip was miserable, it was still a waste of time to worry about it.  I'm gonna try to be better about doing more hard things.  And just showing up more even if it is hard and stresses me out.  But, I am not even close to being ok with doing the trip alone.  Not a chance.

So we had a great five days of family time and the kids were in complete cousin bliss (looks like most of my pics were of the cute little three year olds.  They are stinkin cute.) 

No sooner had we been home 8 hours, laundry in piles, we were outta the house soaking in every last moment with one of my very best friends, Jessica, and her kids.  They are leaving us tomorrow and moving across the country.  And I can't even talk about it anymore or I am gonna start to cry.

 Let's just say I am taking new friend applications starting immediately.  Who am I kidding.  I will take whoever wants to come hang out with me on a daily basis.  Be prepared, I am a needy friend.

7 comments:

leigh said...

well guess what. i am about to be unemployed again. maybe we can have a repeat of me hanging out everyday?? haha you can hire me as your nanny/personal assistant. i am really good at taking kindergarteners to school everyday.

Caitlin said...

Wish we lived closer - I'd apply! :)

Heather said...

If it matters, I'd call you my best, blogger friend...we'd be real friends but someone doesn't come to the reunions...aside from the fact that we live on opposite sides of the country, which is ultra lame.

Laura said...

Leigh - I will hire you as my nanny/personal assistant/kindergarten picker upper effective immediately. Will you still be willing to be paid in food?

Caitlin - don't you guys want to move to simi valley? OC is overrated ;)

Heather - seriously, after this road trip and getting to spend time with DeAnn's whole family I have COMMITTED to doing better at showing up to reunions and stop wussing out about driving the distance. We will BE there next year, will you?

kelly l said...

of course you'll be to the reunion next year since it most likely will be in california. HA! i'm glad you are committed to stressing less about things. and i'm super glad you came out to visit. and slightly disappointed that you won't commit to driving alone. and btw, how are you doing your photo collages?

Laura said...

Kel - I am doing them in picasa. super easy.

Kady said...

Those 3 year olds are pretty dang cute! Glad the road trip was a success!