
We arrived home yesterday afternoon to no power. in the entire house. I feebly attempted to light some candles in the house that was darkened due to rain storm (note to self: candles do not provide much light). Chase lay on the floor crying after I told him the tv and the computer were not working. He then went upstairs to try every single light switch and report that it was not working either (followed by cries of "OH NO"! after each attempt).
Luckily, it was naptime and I put the kids to bed. I then lay in bed in a daze and pondered all of the things I could not do. I could not turn on the tv. I could not use the microwave (not that I needed to at the moment, but still..) I could not use the computer. I was wary of using my cell phone with only 2 bars of battery remaining. And I was worried about this power outage continuing into the night....not so much worry over having a dark house and a freezer full of unthawing food...but not being able to watch American Idol.
Within less than 2 hours, our power was restored and a weight was lifted from me. Life returned to normal. I learned 2 things from this:
#1 I am grateful, grateful, grateful for modern conveniences
#2 I am so so so unprepared for a disaster. Anyone out there prepared that will take the Andersons in during a disaster?
Luckily, it was naptime and I put the kids to bed. I then lay in bed in a daze and pondered all of the things I could not do. I could not turn on the tv. I could not use the microwave (not that I needed to at the moment, but still..) I could not use the computer. I was wary of using my cell phone with only 2 bars of battery remaining. And I was worried about this power outage continuing into the night....not so much worry over having a dark house and a freezer full of unthawing food...but not being able to watch American Idol.
Within less than 2 hours, our power was restored and a weight was lifted from me. Life returned to normal. I learned 2 things from this:
#1 I am grateful, grateful, grateful for modern conveniences
#2 I am so so so unprepared for a disaster. Anyone out there prepared that will take the Andersons in during a disaster?
6 comments:
Grandma Ann will take you in.
I'm always searching for batteries in a power outage and swear I'll stock up and then I don't. Oh well. I like that Chase had to check every light switch.
so true and well written...I can almost always hear you saying these things like "note to self".
I'm sure Kelly and Leigh would agree that it could always be worse when the high temp is 30 or so.
oh that is quite the disaster! and i am a little surprised you didnt call mom.
and yes. agreed about the snow.
well this wasn't a disaster, but the point is that IF there is one, i am not prepared. and NO i did not call mom. i called matt. and he came home.
Post a Comment