Sunday, November 1, 2009

October mania

well, here it is. October in all of its glory...and all those things we feel obligated - as mothers - to do, whether we like them or not.

Carving a Pumpkin
Fun Scale: 7
This was my first time doing this - sad, huh? - and while I was excited to do this with Chase, it is harder work than I thought! So I stopped after carving just one. And our design wasn't worthy of any awards. Oh, and did you know that by day 4 the pumpkin actually gets really moldy so that by Halloween it is actually quite disgusting. Note to self that this is a Halloween eve activity.
Pumpkin Patch
Fun Scale: 3
Does it make me a bad mom to admit that I actually don't really like pumpkin patches? I kind of don't want to say this out loud. But I think I always get less desirable weather, and it is dirty. And if you know me, you know I have a hard time with dirty. That being said, I took the kids to TWO pumpkin patches this year. First was Underwood Farms (a little hot and overpriced) with friends and second was Lombardi Ranch (very windy) for a field trip with our Mom and Me class. Sadly, I did not take any pics at Underwood Farms. The good news is I will take some next year as we will be going back to spend the extra 14 tickets that I bought but did not use. So here we are at Lombardi Ranch:
We were so glad that Grandma joined us this year.

Trunk or Treat
Fun Scale: 8
This actually became an indoor trunk or treat since it was VERY windy. We almost had to go home early since Chase apparently got very scared by someone dressed up as a giant Hershey bar. Needless to say I decided to skip the spook alley. And removed all hershey bars from his treat bag.
Chase - I mean Spiderman - and his princess ladies.

Halloween Party and some trick or treating
Fun Scale: 10
Thanks to the Petersons for hosting another successful Halloween party. The kids had a blast and Chase definitely had the hang of trick or treating this year. So I know I am going to somewhat be looked down on by the fellow blogging mothers for not dressing up my baby, but I just didn't think it was worth the time and effort of dressing her up just for a picture and then having to carry around a poofy costume, or immediately take it off. So there. Besides, I am not up for Mom of the year...this year at least.
Chase thought it was pretty cool that Owen (who he thinks is awesome) was also Spiderman.
The mask did not last too long....after walking into some bushes, and tripping on a step falling flat on his face. Luckily it was pretty dark, so hopefully his identity was not compromised.

Now the question to you all, what to do with ALL THIS CANDY. I mean, we have LOTS. And Chase spends a large portion of his day looking at, talking about, and trying to get more candy. He asks for it for every meal. You know, just in case I am not on my A game and he fools me into thinking candy for breakfast IS a great idea. And obviously I will be stealing some of this candy, but I can't eat ALL of it. And it seems so wrong to throw away. Any ideas??

6 comments:

Evan and Amber said...

Have you heard of the "Candy Fairy"? I've heard of some moms-i mean fairies-that replace all the kidos candy with a toy after Halloween, kinda like the tooth fairy. I thought it was a cute idea.

kelly l said...

i like all your fun scales. we never got to carving our pumpkin and i read somewhere that if you hairspray your pumpkin inside and out it will help with it not going bad. just a thought. and i think you're a totally bad mom for not dressing mia up. whatever. i didn't even dress kate up for actual trick or treating because by the time it we got going, it was too late and she was ready for bed. drew wouldn't even wear his spiderman mask and for the church halloween party he kept saying "we can't wear mask-es." good times.

Melanie said...

Me again. First adorable pictures of your adorable kids and yes, you are a good mommy. Secondly, it just occured to me that I could actually throw the candy away. I don't usually think of that until it has been in the cupboard for a year or so. I did just hear that some preschools around here are doing "candy drives", collecting all the unwanted Halloween candy and I think sending it to the troops over seas. Check it out and see if you find one by you. I have to before Norah asks for candy for breakfast again!

leigh said...

i am SO incredibly jealous of all of your halloween festivities. i LOVE celebrating halloween! are you serious that you never carved a pumpkin? did you grow up under a rock?? i love carving pumpkins and i wanted to go to a pumpkin patch so bad! freakin chad was like halloween scrooge and didnt want to do anything. LAME.

BBS said...

First to Leigh--who is Chad?
Then on to these adorable and hilarious posts...I just love your honesty. Did I spot a Svendsen hat?? The kids are sure cute!

JS said...

I love your fun scale. That is hilarious. I was excited that I did not have to touch our pumpkin... Tyson did all that work, and I was quite happy.

Next year go to JoAnn's. They have fake pumpkins. No nasty gunk, and you can keep it for the next year, and not have to carve again. :)