Friday, November 6, 2009

what's for dinner?

If you are like me at all, then you understand what a complete drag it is to come up with what to make for dinner. Especially when your criteria is low prep time, does not require many ingredients, and something the kids will eat. I ALWAYS appreciate when I find new things to make on blogs. So, I thought I would start sharing some things I make for dinner, in hopes it helps someone else out. If I get some feedback, I will keep doing it.

So I cannot promise that the food will be fancy or always low fat, but I usually require the following three:

EASY, Kid friendly, less than 10 ingredients.

An easy favorite I like to make is chicken enchilada cassarole.

Ingredients:
Chicken
Salsa
Cheese
corn tortillas
enchilada sauce (I use red sauce)

Directions:
In the morning, throw Chicken into crock pot (which is my best friend). I throw it in still frozen and usually do 2 chicken breasts. Cover with salsa (I use 1 can, whatever kind you want). Cook chicken on low all day (6-8 hours).

Once chicken is cooked, remove from crockpot and shred it up. Now, I do a cassarole, because it is much easier than rolling enchiladas and it tastes the same. Tear up pieces of tortillas and cover bottom of 9x13 (sometimes I only do 8x8 for our family). Layer shredded chicken, enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Repeat another layer and top again with tortillas, sauce and cheese. Cook for 30 min at 350. I top with sour cream. This is always a hit with my family and it doesn't get easier than this. Obviously, you can just cook chicken however you want, but I find that cooking in crock pot with salsa and shredding tastes the best.

Hope this helps someone in the daunting task of cooking dinner!

3 comments:

Sheena said...

Yes! I was just trying to come up with something new, easy and delicious. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Brenna said...

I agree, coming up with meals IS a complete drag! Let's just say frozen pizza, corndogs, macaroni, and PB&J frequent our kitchen. I think I might be able to handle these enchiladas though...in fact...I already have all of the ingredients! Sweet.

Your October fun scale was awesome! Did we never carve pumpkins together??? Deprived, I tell ya!!

I know it is probably a little late but in regards to candy, my neighbor does the candy fairy. The little girl will leave it by her pillow and a new movie will magically appear in the morning.
Upside: kid doesn't OD on sugar.
Downside: you will eat it all and have to hide it in the process.

Also, there are some dentists around here that will actually pay you per pound of candy! Worth checking into.

BBS said...

Yum- sounds like my kind of dinner!
Thanks. My niece Ashley has a regular blog, and also a recipe blog if you ever want to check it out. It's ashleysamazingrecipes.blogspot.com