Tuesday, November 10, 2009

the trio


As fall approached, and Mia started to get on a more regular napping pattern (and out of the haul-the-baby-everywhere-because-she-can-sleep-in-her-carseat phase) I started to panic. What was I going to do with Chase at home every morning while Mia napped? We used to be able to leave the house at our leisure in the morning. Now there was only a small window between Mia's morning and afternoon nap to go do something. And I didn't think I could handle entertaining a 2 year old every morning.

Well, let me tell you something. It hasn't been half bad. In fact, most days, I kind of adore just kicking it the 3 of us. Cuz with a schedule like ours, planning outings with friends aren't a regular occasion anymore. There is something great about waking up some days, not having to go anywhere, and not having to change out of PJ's for hours.


And this is the other thing I realized, I think getting out of the house is sometimes more for the Mom than the kids. Because Chase likes playing at home. Probably a lot more than being hauled on errands. And he has started playing so good by himself. I love watching his little imagination working. Like jumping up on kitchen chairs so the Puma's in the kitchen won't get us. And I love the interaction that is going on between Chase and Mia. Nobody cracks her up like Chase does. Makes me realize why we have more than one kid.

And we still manage to squeeze in at least one fun outing a day. Even if it is just going to the park. Or McDonalds playground (which is quickly becoming one of my favorite outings). Or the library. But since we leave whenever the baby gets up from her nap, we have been doing a lot of these outings just us 3. And it IS fun. But I have also realized I am becoming my mother. Because when I am at the park, or the playground, I can't help myself but start talking to the other mothers. I try to stop myself, really I do, but I just can't leave people alone. And Chase has to ask all the other kids their name and how old they are. So maybe he is becoming his mother.

2 comments:

leigh said...

you and kelly really have to stop posting things that make me cry. really. maybe i should move home in january and it can turn into a quad and i can go out on all of the outings too?? mia looks so precious and i LOVE that chase has that in his mouth. so funny. and cute shirt!! i wore mine last night.

kelly l said...

i'm glad you're getting over your guilty feelings of not doing stuff, cause i NEVER do stuff. if taking my kids places was a measurement of being a good mom, i would fail big time. i mean, i took them to the grocery store and costco yesterday. welcome to the world of kicking it at home. i'm glad chase is being good for you and i love his teeth and i can't wait for you to visit. sorry leigh.