Sunday, August 31, 2008

bike rides, ferris wheels, and protesters

I hate posting things late...and this one is late. I hate it because (1) I forget things I wanted to say and (2) I have already told a lot of people the stories I wanted to share. oh well, I am going to post it anyway.

Last Weekend, Matt (who is Young Men's Pres in our ward) took the boys wakeboarding for the weekend. He told me a few weeks before that "by the way we are taking the boys wakeboarding thursday through saturday." As he was telling me I was pondering how we (as wives/women/mothers) seem to just go along with this kind of stuff. So, I thought I would see how he would react by replying "that's cool...oh and by the way in a few weeks I am going with some girlfriends down to Newport Beach for the weekend, and by the way, we are not taking the kids" (I was making this up). Matt was silent for a few seconds and then asked "Seriously?" to which I replied "Absolutely". A few more seconds of silence and then he had the audacity to ask "Is this Church related?" HA! I really do think I need to do that weekend away after all!
So determined to not have a boring Saturday at home with Chase, I called my parents and we decided to go down to Santa Monica, rent some beach cruisers, have lunch, and ride the ferris wheel. It was a great idea.

It would appear as if I was the one who pulled Chase...


Chase started whining halfway through the ride...Cheetos seemed to do the trick

The only downside was there was this protest going on in Venice (go figure) and the protesters were blocking a part of our bike path. Why, you ask, was this such a downside? Oh, only because they were protesting that women should be allowed topless on the beach. So really, the "protest" consisted of a bunch of topless girls (I guess technically they got away with it because they were wearing little rubber nipples -- I hate that I just used that word on my blog) with a bunch of nasty guys lurking around and taking pictures. Hey, I am all for womens rights, but really???? Are these the rights women need?? The right to have disgusting guys gawk at you? Sounds a little like a step backwards to me.
We did get to ride the brand new ferris wheel...which, to be honest, seemed exactly the same as the old one. It's funny, I can ride every ride at magic mountain without fear, but the ferris wheel freaked me out just a little bit.

Clutching Chase in a death grip.

On a side note, Chase was wearing this same pink shirt on another occasion and I had someone ask me how old she was!! really? doesn't everyone know that boys wear pink now? It's not like the shirt is girly, plus I think Chase does not have girly features whatsoever. And it was another young mom with a little boy, so it wasn't like an old lady asking.

13 comments:

Mandy said...

I think you just wrote the words that every married woman thinks. Ryan is the YM Pres also and they are always going to do stuff on weekends or Saturdays. My solution is a regular girls night out without kids with all my friends. I am always trying to set up a girls weekend but all my friends husbands tell them no, hmmmmm. I think they should just go.

agirlnamedgay said...

aren't beach cruisers just the life? i seriously feel so young and carefree when i'm out on them!! you tell chase to keep wearing his pink proudly... real men wear pink!

brookeisacrazylady said...

dude, your last two posts are like my favorite. whats up with the crazy beach ladies? and the boys fun in t he name of church. and the dang pottery barn. totally agree with it all. and you should go away, just cause.

brookeisacrazylady said...

dude, pink is not for boys. yellow yes, not pink. give it to baylie. :) although you can get away with it in la. i made jason wear a pink shirt for darby's birthday. luke refused. but he did tell me he liked pink a little bit.

just like luke asks me why his boy friends have long hair like darby

Holly said...

Seriously! Why if it is church related it is ok? Mike just volunteered to do the 50 miler for 5 days and all I could think was "wouldnt that be nice." I need a calling with the YW. I would put over night spa nights and what not every month. Chase looks way to boy to be called she even in pink.

kelly l said...

before you mentioned the pink comment, i was going to comment that seth would not like seeing chase in pink. our boys won't ever be seen in pink. you just can't do it when you have a girl. i do have a pink byu shirt that would fit drew, maybe i should give it to him and he could be twinners with chase. and btw, love your response to matt about the girls weekend. now you just need to plan it. at least you have mom and dad as back-ups to hang out with.

Anneli said...

The only people I know that would disagree with you about the women on the beach are McKay and Tanner, they will be sad they missed out on the guilt free exposure.

Anneli said...

And PS my brother Syd loved pink until a couple of years ago and it didn't make him a bit girly. Now that he is 9 has has grown into a mature boy who fights the bad guys on Saturn daily.

Laura said...

wow, anneli, you are really stepping up to the plate in the comment department. nice. and i stand by my choice to put chase in pink. the shirt is cute. and i AM going to do the girls weekend - ya'll just let me know who is in.

Unknown said...

Volunteering to go on the 50 miler is a huge Christlike act. Trust me, that would not be fun. Planning a girls weekend to the spa sounds self indulgent and a little egotistical. you all should repent for even thinking that a girls weekend is an option.

kelly l said...

matt, i say cram it.

Kady said...

Ditto. Zip it Matt. Also, boys in pink is seriously one of my favorite things. Love it!

xcdenke said...

I think you know my opinion on the "pink" issue. But, I say bring it on. Of course, this is spoken by someone who married to a true L.A.-ite, metro-sexual. Plus, I think he looks great in pink. :)

Looks like you guys are having a blast! We miss YOU terribly!!! Did I mention that so far our ward SUCKS! Ugh, just isn't the same. We need some Anderson lov'n.