Thursday, July 31, 2014

Laguna Hills Half Marathon

I couldn't let another half marathon go by without mention.  That would be crazy, right?  On Memorial Day I ran a half marathon in Laguna Hills.  Here are the things I liked about this race:



  • It was so close!  I love races that I only have to drive 10 minutes to get to.
  • I had so many friends running it!  I love having a group of girls to train with, drive up with, and it was awesome passing by at some of the turnaround points and high fiving and shouting encouragement to.
  • It was not on a Sunday!  Almost every awesome race in So Cal is on Sunday.  I'm not here to speak for or against racing on Sunday, but it is nice to find an alternative.


Ok so here are the things I did NOT like about this race

  • The course.  The last four miles were a steady UPHILL.  Not cool.  And at the very end, you think you are done, especially when your Garmin hits 13.1, but oh no, there is an extra .2 STRAIGHT uphill. 
  • It was long.  Extra .2?  Again, not cool.  Doesn't sound like much, but when you are counting down every last bit, an extra .2 feels like another mile.
  • It was hot.  With a 7AM start time, by close to 9AM and the sun beating down, I was super hot.

Don't you just love the difference of the beginning of the race photo to the end?  Pretty sure I was thinking "don't take my picture"

So I knew the course was going to finish uphill, so I tried to compensate by speeding through the first half, which I know isn't good racing strategy, and now I know why.  The last 5 miles were a huge struggle.  Like all I could think about was how I wanted to stop running.   I was so tired, I accidentally threw a cup of Gatorade at a volunteer when I realized it wasn't water.  And at the finish line when they handed me my metal, I was so exhausted I couldn't even grab it and just dropped it on the floor.

Race stats:

Official time:  1:46:11
Pace: 8:00
Division: 11/93
Female: 31/579
overall: 124/1140

Still on the search for a local, downhill race.  Preferably that starts at 6 and is not on a Sunday.  Anyone?

3 comments:

leigh said...

Come to Utah, there are LOTS of downhill races! I am sure there aren't many in the land of the beach :) Did I tell you that I tried to run in the SLC half with a braid?? I hated it and puled it out within 2 mins of running. I don't know how you do it!

Unknown said...

Why am I not surprised that you managed an 8 minute pace with tons of hills? You killed it. You always do. Nice job!

agirlnamedgay said...

find one and maybe i'll come join you! awesome race still the same. you have transformed int a superstar runner-- so fun to watch you just keep getting better and better!