The race was the Southern California Half Marathon which started just a couple miles from my house. I was expecting a small crowd and was surprised to get there and see about 6,000 participants. It didn't start until 8AM and with a 5 minute drive it was a really strange feeling to sleep in that morning and have plenty of time to get ready for the race. Luckily the course was nice and flat. I felt pretty great from the start and was happy that I kept a great pace the whole race. I've only run three half marathons prior to this one with my fastest being the Santa Barbara half with a time of 1:48. I was really hoping to break 1:45, so I was thrilled when I came in at 1:42:28 (pace of 7:49). It was really great seeing Matt and the kids cheer me on at 3 different points in the race and at the finish line.
Growing up, I never felt like I was good at anything. I always hated the young women's lessons when we had to talk about our talents, because I felt like I didn't have any worth mentioning. I don't sing, play musical instruments, or dance, and I am definitely not crafty or artistic in any way. I was an average athlete - played soccer in high school - but nothing to brag about. But I guess it's never too late to find and develop your talents. And although of course I am not the best runner out there, I feel pretty good at it....something I can feel proud of. I am just sad I didn't start earlier! As I told Matt when we were watching the Olympics last week....we are already past our athletic prime. But here's to hoping I have many more good years of running in my future. And maybe now to breaking 1:40? Better go find a good downhill race in Utah.
7 comments:
runners are good until their 70s or 80s. You still have time for the Olympics. Or you could just run because you like it.
I loved this. You are an amazing runner! I will run a half marathon if it's downhill. :)
That is soooo fast! You are incredible! So great to see the kids out there with you too! I love it!
I still think about you coming to Audrey's party right after the race and looking great. I would've been on the ground sleeping. You're amazing :) Maybe one day I'll attempt another 1/2. Maybe...
It makes me sad that as a child you didn't think you were good at any thing! Look at you now!!! You are so accomplished and good at what matters most. I have always been so proud of you.
That was a super fast race. Good job!
Awesome job! Isn't it fun discovering things as an adult? I'm always saying I'm a much better athlete as an adult. And being how much I love athletics and being active, I do wish fro time to time that I would rewind the clock and have another go round. Professinal tennis player?? We'll never know! And why Utah? Isn't harder to run in higher elevation?
Post a Comment