Thursday, April 25, 2013

For the love of running

(excuse the screen shot photo...didn't want to pay $15 for the pic)
 
About a month ago I ran the Chesebro half marathon as part of the Great Race of Agoura Hills.  My third half marathon in just over six months!  I was excited for this one because, being a trail run, I knew it would be very different than my other two races, and more challenging.  After not getting as much training runs on trails as I would have liked, and getting my booty kicked on the ones that I did, I was getting pretty nervous leading up to the race.  I was hoping I could come in at the 2 hour mark.  So I was pretty pleased when I came in at 1:52:26.  
 
Race Stats:
Total time:  1:52:26
Average pace: 8:35
6th out of 62 in my age group
36th out of 435 females




After the race, I didn't have anything lined up to train for and I started thinking whether or not I wanted to take a break from running.  I have been running consistently for about a year and a half  and started to reflect on why I have been so dedicated.

I love running because in the stay-at-home realm I live in where I am constantly meeting everyone else's needs, it is something that is selfishly mine.

I love running because that competitive side of me comes out that wants to always be better and faster.

I love running because I am working towards a goal...whether or not a race is involved.

I love running because I get the best thinking done, can clear my head, and solve many problems.

I love running when I get to the top of a trail I have climbed and I look down in awe and think I got there with my own two feet.

I love running because I get an hour to myself and feel like I can be a better mom when I walk back in the door.

I love running because it makes me feel strong and appreciate a healthy body.

I love running because of the amazing feeling of accomplishing something you didn't think you could do.

I love running and seeing the sun come up and feeling thankful for a beautiful Earth.

I love running because sometimes I get a medal for doing it, and you don't get that very often at home.

I love running because I feel high on endorphins when I get home and feel like I can accomplish anything.


So no, I am not ready to stop yet.  I think I need this running gig in my life.

2 comments:

kelly l said...

All good reasons to keep on running. You looked cute in your race pic. And I'm glad that you and Wreck it Ralph just want that stinking medal. It's good to admit it.

Ann said...

Love this post and how accomplished you are.