I have come to realize it takes a while to really get to know your kids. You know, to figure them out. And of course, we learn more and more about them each day. And then it takes even longer to adapt to what fits their own individual needs and likes and personality versus what you yourself want to do. And not only to adapt to it, but to surrender to it. Because sometimes - a lot of the time - we plan our activities and our days around what WE want to do, not what the kids want or need.
I love big birthdays. I love to make a big deal about it. Chase is the same way. So big, loud, action filled parties have always been right up his alley. By Mia's second birthday I had already figured her out a bit - and that big, loud, action filled parties with all attention on her was not gonna be her thing. So what did I do? Well, I threw her a party anyway, because dang it, I wanted to throw her a party. And if you remember last year, it did not go over well.
Well, I wised up a bit this year. I decided to throw Mia a party that was for Mia, not for me. We decided to pick her actual birthday, which fell on a weekday, and invited three little friends over for a princess party. We decorated princess crowns, played pin the crown on the princess, had a pinata, ate pizza and cupcakes, and opened presents. And it was perfect. Nice and stress free for me. And more importantly, perfect for Mia. She was excited, she was comfortable, and she had fun. Success.





3 comments:
ohh that sweet little girl! i wish i could have been there. its crazy to see how big she has gotten in a year, and how much her mullet has grown out!! hahaha
So sweet! I love how you shared what you are learning. It is truth!
I'm glad she had a fun party and it's a good thing to figure out what works for each kid, because they are all different.
Post a Comment