Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dear Mia























Three years ago today, you came into our lives and our already full hearts doubled in size.  I was remembering tonight how you were my most painful and complicated of all of my deliveries.  I think you kind of love being a little difficult.  Before you came along I never realized there was such a huge spectrum of emotions one little person could evoke in me.  How I could feel such overwhelming love and such utter frustration in the flip of a switch.  You have really pushed me to the very edge of my sanity many days, testing my patience to its very limits.  And I admit I have been pushed over the edge on a few occasions.  But you have taught me strength and patience and understanding that I didn't know I was capable of.  You have made me a better mother.  But let's hope three is a tad better than two was. 

But the love I have for you...oh the love, my little heart could burst when you give me hugs and kisses.  I admit, sometimes it gets a little frustrating that you want me, and only me, all. the. time.  But it is endearing.  And I know I will miss one day you telling me, "but I love Mommy so much". 

You are my girly girl.  You ask me every day to paint your nails.  And you love pink and purple and sparkly.  And you insist on skirts or dresses every day and "one braid down my back and two clips".  I love that you want to sit on the counter in my bathroom while I get ready and do your make up.  And you give the best compliments, always telling me I look "prettiful" and "cute shirt" and "cute earrings" and "cute shoes".  I look forward to many many years ahead of us doing girly things together.

You have such a sweet relationship with your brother and sister.  I love seeing you tell Chase that you love him so much and giving him hugs and kisses.  I love that you are so excited to tell him things that happened when he was gone.  And I don't know if any baby has ever been as adored as how you adore Lyla.  I can't wait for her to grow up and for you two to become playmates.  I am so glad you are able to have a sister.  Sisters are the best.

 It's been a learning experience  figuring out your personality over these past couple of years.  You are different than your easy going, extroverted big brother.  You are more timid, more careful, wary of new situations and people.  You need time to warm up and to feel safe.  It has taken me some time to be ok and embrace these differences.   But as much as you like to act like you are still the baby (and I admit sometimes I still think you are baby Mia), you are such a big girl.   Three is the exit of being a toddler, and an introduction to being a kid.  I am looking forward to you starting preschool and venturing out on your own a bit.  I hope it will boost your confidence and allow you to let outsiders get to know the crazy, funny, smart Mia that I know. 

Thanks for adding so much love, girliness, laughter, drama, sweetness, and texture to our lives.  Our family wouldn't be complete without you.

xoxo,
Mommy

4 comments:

kelly l said...

that was a super cute letter. you should give it to her some day.

leigh said...

oh my gosh i cant handle it when you write these things about your kids. i really need to not read them first thing in the morning cause now i have full on tears down my face. that girl is sassy but so full of love. and i love when she gets into crazy Mia time. cant believe she is three!

Ann said...

Dear sweet sweet Mia, What a beautiful letter from your amazing mother. You have brought so much joy and happiness into all of our lives!

BBS said...

What a very sweet letter! You are such a wonderful writer...and you will just cherish these posts later in life.