Thursday, June 7, 2012

out with the old, in with the new




As I was taking Chase to his very last day of preschool yesterday, I was having flashbacks of bringing him there as a barely three year old to visit to see if it would be the right fit for us.  And I couldn't believe 2 years had past and our time there had already come to an end.

And by the time I picked him up for the last time, I couldn't hold back the tears any longer.  I was feeling a whirlwind of emotions.  First and foremost, my baby boy is now going to be a kindergartener.   But also, I was having such a hard time - much harder than Chase - saying goodbye to people I was used to seeing on a regular basis.  People I had grown close to and come to rely on as another support system for me.  And then I also realized that I was also cutting one of my last ties to Northridge.  Since our move almost four months ago, I have been able to stand with one foot still very firmly planted in Northridge.  A reason for me to keep coming back.  And what I thought would be a hassle coming back and forth with Chase had really been softening the blow of our move.  I was able to rendezvous with my favorite Valley peeps at Chick Fil A on a regular basis.  It made it easy to pop in at my Mom's frequently.   I had a reason to continue with Mia at our Mom & Me class every week while Chase was at school (and more on that to come).  I got to see and chat with my favorite preschool moms all the time.  I had moved, but was still around, and it felt good. 

But I guess life is all about moving forward with excitement of what our next experiences have to offer.   I can hardly believe my little boy is now moving past preschool and on to the next phase in his life.  As he has been expressing his sadness to me that preschool is over I have been giving him pep talks about how exciting kindergarten is going to be and how he is going to meet new friends and have so much fun.  I think the pep talks are just as much for me as for him.   

1 comment:

kelly l said...

i know what you feel like about it being hard to start over. i felt that way the last five weeks when my kids were in their old school. it was hard to give up all those old friends. but it'll get better. i'll admit though, that after three kids, i'm so over any sadness for preschool. i kind of felt that for a second with some of the preschool moms on drew's last day, but then i was over it. chase will LOVE kindergarten, although i suspect you'll shed a few tears when that day comes.