Friday, May 4, 2012

what's cookin

Before I had kids, I imagined there would be certain unpleasantness that went along with the job, you know, like changing poopy diapers, dealing with temper tantrums, etc etc.  The one thing I had not anticipated despising was feeding the kids.   Excuse my dramatics, but it is the bane of my existence some days.  And I am not just talking about the spending-lots-of-time-making-a-meal-to-have-the-kids-not-eat-it stuff, which in and of its self is enough to make me scream.  Especially when they say things like "gross" and "disgusting" to all of your hard work.  And the stars rarely align when actually BOTH kids tolerate the meal.  And who taught Chase to be all snotty about left overs.  "This again? We just had this a couple of days ago"  "It's called left-overs Chase, and you better get used to it."   And the meal planning....nothing I hate more than Monday morning trying to come up with a handful of meals to make the family that is a) somewhat healthy and b) they will eat, and c) is different from what we had last week. 

And is it just me or do I get my best yelling done during meal time?  Does anyone else have to yell the entire meal to sit down and eat and stop running around, and don't put that food on your head?  Please tell me I'm not the only one. 

And no sooner than the last dish from a meal is put in the dishwasher do I hear my favorite three words...."I AM HUNGRY".  Are you kidding me?  And I hear "I AM HUNGRY"  nonstop from the hours of 1pm to 4pm.  I start with healthy options, but after the 3rd or 4th "I AM HUNGRY", I throw in the towel and tell them whatever they can reach they can eat.  I. don't. care.

So here is reason number 117 that we don't really appreciate the simplicity and ease of babies until our second or third time around.  Because they eat whatever we give them.  And are happy about it.  Pureed green beans?  Yes, please.  A snack of milk?  Sign me up.  No running, no complaining, no constant snacking. 

And let me just take a moment to congratulate myself on making so much of my own baby food this time around.  I seriously can't stop patting myself on the back.  I feel all Martha Stewart/organic Whole Foods Mom. If you've been to my house lately, I probably have showed off my freezer of homemade baby food. 

So at least one person in the family appreciates my cooking.  For being the tiniest peanut around, this little girl does not mess around when it comes to food.  She goes for seconds and thirds and is always trying to get her chubby little hands on whatever I'm eating.  Maybe I am secretly hoping my Martha Stewart-ness is gonna transform her into a better eater.  One can dream.

Anyone have meal time or snacking tips?  And btw, please spare telling me what great eaters your kids are and how they eat sushi and tri tip and grilled vegetables.  I seriously don't wanna hear it.

8 comments:

JS said...

ha!
I am glad someone else has this problem too.
"I am Hungry" is probably my least favorite saying that comes out of my kids mouths. for. sure.

I love that you make your baby food. I have been thinking of doing that...

Ann said...

Hurray for Lyla!

Heather said...

Rex's favorite time to be hungry: bedtime, 3 am, sometimes 4 am. I try to have a strict no food in bed policy, but by the 3rd I'm hungry at 3 am, I don't *(&^ care. How do I get Rex to eat? I don't. I make his food and put it on the table and there it sits until the next meal. Disgusting? Yes. Unsanitary? Probably. But on occasion he'll come grab a bite. And he's still alive so I figure it's ok.

kelly l said...

Yeah so I hate to tell you that it's not going to get better for some time, if ever. Because I'm thinking that teenagers won't be appreciative of your fine cooking skills nor will they be happy about leftovers. And I spend most of my dinner time telling my oldest two children to stay in their seats and just yesterday I noticed Drew's uneaten dinner still sitting at the table from the previous evening. I do have a couple friends whose kids eat salads and veggies and fruit, but I think their kids are just freaks of nature. So good luck and appreciate the tiny peanut who eats your food because it's always around that birthday time that they get picky. I blame it on that first piece of birthday cake.

leigh said...

hahaha i like kelly and heathers comments. and once again, you are making me never want to have children. seems too stressful.

brookeisacrazylady said...

seriously why didn't anyone tell me that we'd have to feed them everyday. i'm a queen of variations of the quesadilla....quesa-pizza. with chicken and black beans, 'open faced', 'open faced pizza style' , tortilla roll ups...seriously bless the quesadilla

brookeisacrazylady said...

my baby is picky, she is a snob i swear. so bless lyla too!

Heather said...

My kid doesn't eat either. If he eats- and by eats I mean has a bite- it's cause for celebration over here. I remember the days- 1 and younger- when he ate things like cheese, yogurt, and bananas-ahhhh. I should have appreciated that more! Now-a-days he's a total junky- pizza, waffles, mac n'cheese, pb & honey- yeah- real healthy. Ah well- he's still a runt- 4 in September and he weighs 30 pounds! Maybe one of these days our kids will realize what they are missing out on! :0) GOOD LUCK- I don't even want to think about cooking for and pleasing three eaters!