Tuesday, January 3, 2012

obsessions of a two year old

I have a confession.  I let Chase have a pacifier until he was three years old.  Don't judge me please.  It was strictly for naptime and bedtime only.  And the day he turned three he was told he was too big for it, and out it went.  Taking it away went very smoothly, only crying one night that he wanted to be two years old again.  He unfortunately stopped napping regularly, but I wasn't going to allow my three year old to have a pacifier anymore (however tempting it may have been to get him to keep napping...)

So I didn't really think twice with letting Mia keep hers til she was three too.  I figured it worked well with Chase, it would work with her too.

BUT, If you haven't figured it out yet, Mia is a much different child than Chase.  She decides what she wants to do and when she wants to do it.

The last few months I started getting a bit nervous with her OBSESSION with the pacifier. Which got worse after Lyla was born.  And I realized this might not be the easy transition it was with Chase when she hits three.   And I will admit, I got a bit lazy with my bed only rules.  I still put my foot down not letting her take it out of the house, but you better believe that as soon as we pulled the car in the garage it was the first thing she asked for.  And I usually obliged...partly out of laziness, and partly out of fear of the consequences.

However, the past few weeks I started noticing a growing lack of interest during the day with her pacifier.  And to my utter shock, a few days ago, she threw it out of bed and told me she didn't want it.  And hasn't looked back since.

And that is Mia for you. She decides when she will be done with something.  I just lucked out that it was now and not in five years.    And so, Mia's beloved "ba ba" has been replaced with this:

Princess Baby
And true to Mia, Princess Baby has become an obsession.  You won't see Mia without her.  She sleeps with her, comes in the car with us, goes to the store, gets her own exam at the doctor's office (true story), eats with us.  And I couldn't be more happy about it.   Because let's be honest, a two and a half year old with a little princess baby doll is adorable.  A two and a half year old with a pacifier is slightly embarassing.

5 comments:

JS said...

We might have twinboya, but our girls just continue to wound so similar in the personality department!:) Berkleigh is a thumb sucker, and I have tried for w good two years to get her to quit. She wouldn't and then just on our way down to CA for Thanksgiving iy dawned on me that she hasn't be sucking her thumb. She decided to stop and that is that.;) well thank you Berkleigh even if it is teo years late.:)

agirlnamedgay said...

So should I be embarrassed that my 2 1/2 yr old still has binki in hand?!!! Hopefully he'll take the same route as Mia.

kelly l said...

I love that she has to do it her way. Watch out! At least it made it easy.

leigh said...

thats our sassy mia for you. im a little sad she is done with "baba, blanky" but i do like princess baby. and i wanna hear this story about it getting a check up at the doctors office

Kady said...

That little Mia is so unpredictable. She'll be keeping you on your toes for years - I just know it!