You know how people always say that if you have two kids or three kids or four kids, you can handle ten? I am calling their bluff. I say unless that baby is coming with their own nanny, another human being is always more work. Cuz there is still only one me.
Remember how I said I felt like a pro with three? Well, now three is kind of kicking my booty. Because there is always someone that needs something. I find that I have to give myself a pep talk almost everyday to get myself through it. Here are some of the things that I have to remind myself every single day:
1. This is a piece of advice that my friend, a girl named Gay, told me once: Don't let a bad moment ruin your entire day. I have to remind myself this every day because pretty much EVERY DAY we have at least one bad moment. At least. Sometimes before 8AM (ok, sometimes even before 7AM). And if I let that dictate how my day is going to go, then every day would be terrible. Sometimes the worst starting days become the very best. (I love what Brooke had to say about this and more)
2. When I was pregnant with Lyla, someone gave me this advice that I also have to tell myself every day: Sometimes the only thing you can control in a situation is yourself. I cannot control every tantrum my 2 year old decides to have. I can't control how long my baby decides to sleep. I can't control if all three decide to freak out about something at the same time. But, I can decide to take a deep breath, or shut myself in the bathroom and gather myself for a few minutes, and then react calmly (or not react at all).
3. This is something I try to remind myself daily: It is OK if the kids spend an entire day at home. With Lyla taking three naps a day, and Mia still taking one long nap a day, I could seriously stay home all day every day and just let kids sleep. Which, obviously, isn't always practical with three kids. So I do my best to just plan outings and work the naps around them. But sometimes I just decide to spend the day at home. And every time I do I feel guilty. Like I am being a boring, no fun, Mom. But they never complain that we have a lazy day with no nagging to get dressed. I am sure they enjoy it. And shoot, don't we spend all this money buying them toys so they can stay at home and actually play with them? And like my Mom always reminds me, they are lucky to be at home with me.
So there it is. A few things I need to constantly remind myself. Maybe it will help someone else too. Please feel free to add to my list. I could use all the help I can get.

9 comments:
I am glad you wrote this. I needed to hear this. I have officially decided three is hard. A lady in my ward just had her 7th a couple weeks before I had Quincy, and I see her every Sunday with her 7 children and I think she is crazy. :)
Thanks for posting this. It is a good reminder!
and good to know someone else feels the same way as I do...
So true! I just read this article today about kids that was great...especially the Kairos vs. chronos time near the end). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glennon-melton/dont-carpe-diem_b_1206346.html
GREAT article April, thanks for sharing
Laura did I just get a shout out?!! love it. by the way stayed up way too late last night reading that blog (momastery.com) loved it.
I read that same article today and LOVED it. it's so true. and just remember how stinking cute that baby is and how funny mr. c is and how mia probably won't be drama forever, or maybe she will if she's like someone i know. just saying!
Great thought from Gay! so true never thought it like that! and I'm a big believer in number 3....I love to hibernate for a while...or years ;) they are so cute and I can't remember if I told you I love the name Lyla!
Rex begs to stay home.
Well written and such good advice. I will say again that these years are very short--even when they seem long...and before you know it, your baby is 24.
Post a Comment