So anyway, Matt had a birthday last month. But let me back up a little. Matt and I have been married almost 8 years. And all of those years I have purposely avoided getting any kind of gaming system. I figured he spent enough time as it was watching sports, I didn't need to add another time waster. And then since we have had Chase, I have avoided it even more. I figured Chase has his whole life ahead of him of bugging me to play video games, why not hold off as long as possible.
So back to Matt's birthday. He came home from work the day before his birthday and said "You are not going to be happy with what my work bought me". I was scared to ask. "a Wii" he replied.
And so it begins. Chase was as excited as Christmas Day. And yes, he does ask to play every single day, but I feel like I have been managing it well. I told him the rule was he can only play when Dad is home. Thus, he is not asking 24/7. But let me tell you, as soon as Matt walks in the door, you better guess that the first words out of his mouth are "Let's play Wii!"
But I have found some great benefits...bribery. finish your dinner. clean up your toys. go get in the bath. All items are done with haste and enthusiasm...otherwise...no Wii. And I will admit, family Wii time is pretty fun. What is crazy is after like 2 times of playing, Chase was an expert, and I seriously have to try hard to beat him. Neither Matt nor I have yet to beat his bowling score of 193.
Speaking of kids and electronics, I will tell you who else is an electronic genius...Mia. Yep, not yet 2 years old but she knows how to turn on, get to, and play games on the ipad, as well as my phone (which she knows how to unlock and always manages to get right on facebook). It's crazy. So I guess this is 2011 and our kids are going to be more electronically savvy then us by age 5. 

3 comments:
we just got a wii at our house too and it is just as effective in the bribery department as you said. happy birthday to matt! hope you guys are doing well!
remember drew and the computer at age 2? it's crazy. drew is way more video game saavy than me. but then again, i don't care even one bit. at least chase is having fun with good wii games as opposed to seth whining that he's the only one of his friends that can't play halo. poor baby.
Congratulations for holding off as long as you did. I only made it a year and half before we ended up with an X-Box--not nearly as family-friendly as a Wii. But Wii's sure are fun.
Post a Comment