
I lost a little Christmas cheer this week. I think it happens every year about a week before Christmas. I start to feel overwhelmed. I still had about 15 people to shop for. I had Christmas goodies to make and deliver to friends and neighbors. I had Christmas outfits for church to buy. I had Christmas PJ's to make for the kids. I had presents to wrap. And it was 10 days until Christmas. Suddenly, I was not feeling so jolly.
And I really feel that Christmas just starts to get out of control. I am all about giving...I love it...but where do we draw the line? I realized on Tuesday (after seeing some kids bringing things) that you are supposed to bring presents to preschool teachers. And after bringing them wrapped on Thursday realized that parents also bring the office staff presents as well as the other kids in the class! Matt gave me a list of 8 people at his work he needed to buy gifts for. 8?!? Where do I draw the line with friends, neighbors, people at church, parents, to give things to? How about the mail lady? Is she going to be mad if I don't give something to her? My L.A. Times was delivered with the carrier's name and address. You really can start to lose the spirit of giving when you feel like you are breaking the bank.
I called Matt stressed and a little moody. He pointed out (to my chagrin) that I bring a lot of this on myself. In my attempts to do things just right. To make sure my kids are having the most fabulous Christmas season ever. To have the perfect homemade goodies. To please everyone. I think we do a lot to keep up appearances of being very put together. I will be honest that it is important to me. But, for my sanity, and to keep in the spirit of Christmas, I think I need to tone it down a little. Be ok if thinks aren't perfect. And maybe start preparing in October next year.
BUT, I am happy to announce I got my cheer back. I did some major power shopping on Saturday (which, by the way was CRAZY) and got it just about done. Goodies have been made and delivered. Presents have been wrapped. As you can see, the kids made it to church looking very Christmasy. The homemade Christmas PJ's are still TBD.....will let you know how that turns out.
6 comments:
i feel like my christmas cheer just picked up now that i have my shopping done! but you are right, i dont have as many people to buy for and you do bring it upon yourself. and i highly doubt you will start in october next year, and you will probably do a similar post about being stressed next christmas, just saying.
It's funny to me how many Mormon women, moms in particular, do this to themselves. Amy was feeling stressed about everything too, between wedding stuff and Christmas shopping and everything, and she finally decided to cut some stuff out. Now she's happy again. Funny how that works. In any case, if you're not able to enjoy and actually celebrate the Christmas season, what's the point?
i hear ya. this year i sucked at teachers gifts (no way for office staff), didn't make anything homemade treats (I normally make toffee) and no christmas outfits. but whatever we are listening to pandora non stop in our house :)
the rain is getting to me though, talk about a damper :)
I agree. If something stresses me out, I just don't do it. Problem solved. People can judge me if they want, but I'm not stressed and they are. So there.
I totally hear what you are saying. It's hard when you see all these ladies in blogland having these perfect packages with a homemade cookie or craft inside. It's like, "Where do they find the time....and money!" Sheesh. Oh- and they usually have like 4+ kids. Nothing makes you feel like a bigger loser than seeing these chicks do it all with 4+ kids while I have 1 and am barely getting things accomplished for immediate family! I guess it comes down to us being OK with us- we have got to stop comparing ourselves to others! MUCH harder said than done. Here's to hoping we go a little easier on ourselves in 2011!
Love their Christmas outfits! Can I put them in my pocket!?
Post a Comment