Tuesday, September 14, 2010

a preschooler

Chase started Preschool last week. I thought it was going to be more emotional...on both sides. I was mostly just excited. Like, I think more excited than Chase and had dreams of preschool the whole night before. Chase was very excited to wear his new spiderman shirt (not that he didn't have a spiderman shirt already). I wanted him to have a new first day of school outfit, and I tried to talk him into a cute polo shirt, but no. only super heroes. oh well, some fights are not worth having. At least he allowed me to make his hair "cute" (which he usually bans). So I dropped him off at school, and he just said "bye Mom" and that was that.

It feels weird to be a mom of a preschooler. I am sure I will feel that way at every milestone. I remember feeling weird just being a mom. And then feeling weird being a mom of 2.

I also feel like it is the beginning of losing a little bit of control. Up until now, I was in control 100% of Chase's day. Little by little, as they get older and older, you lose more and more control. So far the loss of control in preschool has taken the form of coming back very dirty. I guess without me there to ban him from getting dirty (I know, I'm a mean mom) he gets free reign to get as dirty as he wants. I guess this I can deal with.

It does drive me a little crazy that there is a big chunk of his day that I know nothing about. I don't know about you, but I am a I-want-to-know-every-detail kind of mom. I have quizzed him non-stop (and if you know Chase, you know he is a talker, so I have gotten a good amount of info) but I don't feel satisfied. It is all I can do to not go up to his teachers and get a full report.

how am I ever going to survive having teenagers?

4 comments:

kelly l said...

you get used to it. kindergarten and then first grade was way more hard than preschool in the "losing control" way. but then, you get used to it. and i love that he gets dirty at preschool.

leigh said...

that is the cutest photo i have ever seen! he is so handsome. chase is a talker, i just hope he keeps it up when he gets older.

Ann said...

Can I have a copy of this picture of Chase in a 11x14 size?

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh your mom is right, Chase looks so cute in that picture. He looks like a kid in a magazine. Love the hair.