Thursday, September 16, 2010

the district

Matt and I recently returned from a kid less vacation to our nation's capitol. It was my first time ever leaving my kids (well, longer than one night away) and I was a mix of anxiety/excitement leading up to the trip.


We had a great time. While being without kids was possibly my favorite part of the trip, it was also my least favorite too. you know what I mean? Like I would see other tourists with their small children and feel SO relieved that that was not me, but at the same time have an aching heart missing mine.


We packed a ton into the 3 full days we were in DC, and seriously must have walked like 20 miles. But it was worth it. We saw it all and ate some great food along the way. And there is nothing like visiting the Capitol of the United States to feel super patriotic.


Here are a few highlights of the trip:


Washington Monument. Had the best view of DC from the top.

the Capitol


Nats Stadium. vs. the FL Marlins. Could we have picked a more boring game? Only the 2 worst teams in Baseball. It's ok, another Stadium off our list (and we may or may not have left pretty early) Outside National Archives (was it just me, or did you get goosebumps too looking at the Constitution). Also, notice my Jo Tote (women's camera bag). Took this bad boy all over DC and loved it.
Jefferson Memorial. Longest. Walking. Day. Ever.
Lincoln Memorial



Vietnam Memorial

Arlington National Cemetery
Iwo Jima Memorial

And I wish I had a picture of my 2 kids jumping up and down as they waited for me to come off the shuttle from the airport. had me a little choked up. I tried to keep that image in my head for the following 4 days as I was home alone with the kids as Matt stayed in DC for business. By day 4 I was ready for another trip sans kids.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

You guys look like kids in these pictures. I bet it never would have occured to other tourists you even had children. Looks like it was so much fun.

leigh said...

i cried while looking at these. im STILL jealous!! and you are welcome for the food recommendations and places to go. thanks for the shout out about it, i appreciated it. not.

a{Jo} said...

Thanks for the Jo Tote shout out! Your trip looked like a lot of fun :)

Laura said...

ha mandy! thanks. and i must say, someone asked if we were on our honeymoon.

kelly l said...

i don't know how i missed this post. you forgot to mention your anxiety flying home. i'm glad you guys had a good time on your honeymoon.