
2pm. It used to be my favorite time of day. both kids asleep. crack open a can of coke zero, and do some relaxing.
shortly after Chase turned 3, this all changed. he decided he was done taking naps. and I was NOT ok with this. at all. I was angry. I yelled. I threw temper tantrums. for real. I was not giving up MY time. And that first week, he did nap every day. But it took much yelling, crying, threatening, etc. It was an hour long process to get him to go down. And not a pretty hour. After about a week, I had one of those moments. if was after another nasty tantrum - on both sides. I had one of those bigger picture moments. I had gotten Chase to take a nap every day. But it had been a miserable week. And I didn't like the kind of mom I was being. And it was just a nap for goodness sakes. So I decided. I was not going to fight anymore. Not like this.
So that's it. No more naps. And you know what? After I finally surrendered, I realized it is not so bad. We still do quiet time for a little bit. I still get some down time - especially since Mia is sleeping and having a couple of hours of not breaking up fights is a break in itself. And I realized that Chase is maturing. He is not the 2 year old that is going full speed all day long and needs that nap or it will be total meltdown. He does just great all afternoon and I actually enjoy spending some one on one time with him doing stuff we can't do when the baby is awake, like playing games, or making crafts, or watching a movie. It just took a little adjusting to the schedule and routine that I was used to. So now we have a new routine. And I like it. And bedtime is now 7:45pm. Which is great. And I still get a day or 2 a week when Chase decides to nap, say in the middle of working on a puzzle.
So that's it. No more naps. And you know what? After I finally surrendered, I realized it is not so bad. We still do quiet time for a little bit. I still get some down time - especially since Mia is sleeping and having a couple of hours of not breaking up fights is a break in itself. And I realized that Chase is maturing. He is not the 2 year old that is going full speed all day long and needs that nap or it will be total meltdown. He does just great all afternoon and I actually enjoy spending some one on one time with him doing stuff we can't do when the baby is awake, like playing games, or making crafts, or watching a movie. It just took a little adjusting to the schedule and routine that I was used to. So now we have a new routine. And I like it. And bedtime is now 7:45pm. Which is great. And I still get a day or 2 a week when Chase decides to nap, say in the middle of working on a puzzle.
5 comments:
Berkleigh has decided not to nap as well. All the same emotions went through me, and yes I fight to get her to sleep, but she lays down with Merrick. Merrick falls asleep, and she gets up and reads and plays with her dollhouse for 2 hours until Merrick wakes up. I still get a break... but yes! Life is changing!
i'm so glad you finally had this a-ha moment. i told you it's not so bad. and drew still falls asleep on the floor sometimes too. you'll get alone time again when chase goes to preschool. maybe one day i'll get alone time again.
After a week with Jen's kids I am starting to understand posts like this. Kids need naps, they just don't get it. They like to be like the adults and we wish we were like them and could sleep.
Yup. I'm totally in the same place. Every once in awhile I get a nap out of him--he just curls up during quiet time and snoozes for awhile. And I TREASURE those days in a way that I never thought possible.
Good for you, Laura! Way to find a good attitude about it. I totally melted down when Issy quit naps at three too. But, I let that be their TV time while the younger ones nap. I still can get my stuff done. Plus they go to bed easier at night without the nap.
Post a Comment