Tuesday, September 15, 2009

bike riding


My devoted readers will recall that Chase got a bike for his 2nd birthday. After he opened it and it was assembled by Matt and my Dad, we took the bike outside to take it on a spin. After trying the pedals to no avail, he decided to "ride" the bike by scooting his feet on the ground. That is ok, I thought, he is just 2, he will learn.

Weeks go by. Months go by. He still does not use the pedals, despite my constant encouragement.

It is 6 months later. We are outside "riding" bikes.

"Chase" I say. "Try using the pedals!"

"I can't do it" he replies.

"You CAN do it" I respond.

"I CAN'T do it" he argues.

He then shows me he can't, and while doing this, pedals backwards and goes backward.

"Chase, if you can pedal backward, you can pedal forward."

He tries to pedal forward, it makes some clicking noises and does not move forward.

Hmmmm... "Matt, I think Chase's pedals just broke."

We bring the bike in for inspection. I start thinking. Hmmm....bikes shouldn't go backward if you pedal backward. Hmmmm....what is that arrow pointing backward on the front wheel?

Dang it. The front wheel (with pedals attached) is on backwards. It has been for 6 months. I guess he was right... he couldn't do it.

So, now Chase knows how to use the pedals. Poor kid.

However, he still prefers scooting with his feet.... because by now he has gotten pretty good at it.

5 comments:

Silvs said...

Hahahahahahhaha! Kid was telling the truth the whole time! Love it.

B said...

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "Every organization is perfectly aligned to get the results it is getting." Make perfect sense.

kelly l said...

i like that matt and dad can't put a kiddie toy together.

leigh said...

haha omg that is hilarious!! so funny first because chase was right and second because dad and matt screwed up! haha poor chasers.

BBS said...

love all the things you share--you have a real talent for writing.
Chase is just adorable and SMART.