Wednesday, November 19, 2008

6:15AM

that is what time Chase wakes up. every morning. ever since daylight savings. i am dying. so we do this:


bring books in bed and turn on T.V. except there is no good kids programing before 7AM. why is that? i can't be the only one in this predicament. so sometimes we put on movies. or sometimes i leave him in bed for 30 minutes, or until he starts screaming. does that make me a bad mom? i don't think considerately when i am tired. can someone please give me a solution? and not "maybe that is just when he wakes up". i don't want that solution. because you know what? he woke up just fine after 7 every day until dang daylight savings. dang you daylight savings. i'd rather have my nights lighter anyway. i need more sleep. especially on saturdays. and why am i still up right now? i'm going to bed, because i will be up in less than 7 hours.

14 comments:

leigh said...

come on, you cant get annoyed at that stinkin cute face!!! he has so much hair! im SO EXCITED to see him tomorrow (and you and matt too.)

kelly l said...

maybe that's just when he wakes up. or you could give him a sedative in his milk at night. or you could just slap him around until he falls back asleep in the morning. or you could just talk to him rationally about how he needs to sleep until 7 am - you could even put a clock in his room and tell him that he can't wake up until the clock says SEVEN. i think all those ideas would work. or just quit your whining. seriously, sick of hearing it.

the keele's said...

yea, we have the same problem. i hate it. nothing starts on the tv till 7. haha so i have toys tucked aside in the room for delila. haha

Dave said...

LAURA...

You have DVR... get with it. Record some shows he likes, put them on. Reruns? Already seen it?... yeah... you're still a kid who likely gets excited about shiny keys.

If that doesn't work, try a little jack daniels in his sippy cup.

These are both techniques that Caitlin uses on me when I won't go back to bed. Works great.

xcdenke said...

I think you should leave a clock in his room with the wrong time on it. So when he looks at it, it will say 6am. He'll think, "hmm 6am, that is way too early. Guess I'll sleep another hour." When in fact it is really 7am, buying you another hour. OR...
1. After he falls asleep at night, sneak in and leave some books or toys in is crib to keep him occupied in the a.m. when he wakes. It might buy you some time.
2. If he needs a bottle right away when he wakes, you can freeze half of a bottle, add some milk to it and leave it in the crib. Once morning comes it should be perfectly thawed, ready and waiting for him.

gregory said...

or you could get him off his lazy can and make him get a job. if that rugrat puts a solid 8 hrs in every day at the iron smelters i guarantee he'll sleep like the baby he is supposed to be.

Mandy said...

I am all for the cartoon method. If we do not have to go anywhere in the morning, my kids always get in bed with me and watch cartoons while I sleep. Until Isabel decides she is going to starve to death.

Melissa said...

Dude I have your solution, its called Benadryl. A couple swigs of that and he'll go right back to sleep...and he'll like the bubble gum flavor.

maryam said...

I hate to even say this, but I enjoyed reading this post. I enjoyed it because I always thought I was alone. HA! Layla has also been getting up at 6:15 on the nose, EVERY morning since daylight savings. Let me know if any of the tricks you try work!

Heather said...

hey laura-
this is heather- kelly's sis-in-law. jon and i have wade's fam. for christmas- i have a gift in mind for kelly and want to get a sister's opinion- can you email me at heatherlarson88@gmail.com
thanks!
- sorry for the 6 am wake-up call- i feel your pain.

Liz said...

Laura, I am so sorry. But this is what I do and people already said it but here goes. I record on DVR her favorite shows and when she comes in I put them on and fall back asleep. It really works at least until the show ends and she says she wants more pooh (Tigger and Pooh). Or I leave some toys on her floor so when she wakes up she can play a LITTLE-this doesn't always work, very rarely actually. My friend Tara tells her kids to go back to bed and not come in until 7pm, they have a clock in their bedroom and it has always worked for them (ages 2 and 31/2). Good luck. I know how it feels. Hailes has actually been climbing into our bed at who knows what time. When we wake up we find a child in between us or right next to her daddy. Bad habit and I need to break it. Love ya!

Deena said...

Hi!
I know this sounds crazy, but I read this book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" and it says to put them to bed earlier and they will sleep longer. It worked with Gunnar and Greta! I always put them to bed around 7 or 7:30. I hope you all had a fun Thanksgiving. How great that everyone was together!

Deena said...

Hi!
I know this sounds crazy, but I read this book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" and it says to put them to bed earlier and they will sleep longer. It worked with Gunnar and Greta! I always put them to bed around 7 or 7:30. I hope you all had a fun Thanksgiving. How great that everyone was together!

Jen said...

You have some funny friends man! Howdy stranger! I just want to say hi and what a doll he is!