Sunday, September 21, 2008

The End of Summer

We were enjoying the Dodgers beating the Giants last night at Dodger Stadium, and it was the first time in a long time I was cold. It dawned on me that it is the end of summer. For most, the end of summer was a few weeks ago, but when you don't have school aged children, summer is associated with warm (or HOT) weather. (which I guess living in Southern California you may argue that under this definition summer never actually ends)

It made me start thinking about the things of summer that I love that will be missed.

1. Pool time.



2. Beach time.




3. Eating Popcicles and Ice Cream to our heart's content.




4. Dodger Games. I know this is a spring-summer-early fall thing. But it always makes me think of summer time. We made it to 5 or 6 games this summer - 2 with Chase!



5. Lots and Lots of Watermelon. I mean lots.



6. Being outside with nothing but the hose and a diaper. For hours.





7. Family Sunday dinner outside on the patio.


8. Family walks at 7pm. Oh, how I don't look forward to the days getting shorter.


I look forward to all the things that come with FALL, but summer time is hard to beat.

11 comments:

xcdenke said...

Great list. It's so true! When we first moved to SEA it would say light until 9:30pm, and now it gets dark at 7pm, WAAAAAAAAHHH! I'm sooooooooo sad to let summer go. Here comes the rain I guess. But, I suppose I am enjoying the beautiful Fall weather, seeing pumpkins and the leaves dropping. Moving on... MISS YOU GUYS!!

Jen said...

Oh, that makes me want summer cuz I missed this summer pretty much! I didn't hit the beach ONCE! I did down about 50,000 popsicles though! YUM! Every time I would step outside I would swell up like a balloon so I have been a hermit since my last trimester..ick! I do love the cooler mornings and evenings. Baby Noah loves going out for walks.

kelly l said...

technically fall didn't start until today, but that's ok if you thought it was a few weeks ago. love your list, but i'm kind of thinking that you get summer year round so no complaints until you're shoveling 18 inches of snow. and my kids had a total of zero popsicles this summer. man i'm a mean mom.

Laura said...

oh man, i always thought summer ended w/ labor day. dang, i am super lame. i am going back to edit. i don't want to look dumb in the book i am going to make of my blog.

Ann said...

Summer ends when ever you want it to.

leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
leigh said...

my summer ended a few weeks ago
:( i miss all of those things too lolo. especially chasers! and dodger games and the beach...i just miss it all.

kelly l said...

i like how mom has to defend you even when you're blatantly wrong and when you don't care that you're wrong.

Melissa said...

What a cute post. I like the pic of Matt and Chase in the pool, they both have the same tan! Holly is still here and will be till the 29th but her kid is sick so Ive only seen her once. Call me, Claires not in preschool anymore.

Shumway FAM said...

i love this post. Just wait til your kids start school, you will be glad that summer is over. and if you're like us, on Year Round, you'll get to enjoy all of the seasons to thier fullest when you're off track. We go off in 2 weeks, and i can't wait for bike rides and walks with Cowboy in cooler weather. We'll see. It's still pretty hot, though it's almost October.
Cute pics. The more pics I see the more I see Matt in Chase. The eyes for sure in that pic of the popsicle. So cute!
have a great rest of your summer! lol

Jono said...

Your post is so professional, I am muy impressed.