Monday, May 19, 2008

similarities between dogs and kids

We got our dog Bandit 2 and a half years ago and told several people it was very much like having a kid - to the amusement of many people with kids who laughed at us for this comparison. But when Bandit was a puppy we were getting up in the middle of the night with him, having frustrations with potty training, etc., so it felt the same as a kid! (although we could leave him at home by himself). Here is cute, little Bandit as a tiny puppy.

After having Chase we realized there are lots of similarities between him and Bandit - such as the need to put everything in their mouth, wanting to play with whatever toy is in your hand, and manipulating you to get what they want (example - I let Bandit run outside first thing in the morning to relieve himself and I had a problem with him not wanting to come back inside, and I didn't want to go get him. Due to my laziness - and not wanting my neighbors to see me first thing in the morning- I started telling him to "come get a treat" so he would run back inside. Now he runs out there and waits - just staring at me - until I tell him to "come get a treat" - smart little doggie). I am sure there are other examples, but these were a few that came to mind.


Well, a few weeks ago, we received further proof of the similarity between the two. We were at my parent's house and my mom has this little tupperware that she always gives Bandit water in. She told Chase to go give it to Bandit. Chase took it outside and this is what he did:





See the similarity?

10 comments:

Katy said...

That's funny! It is so true... kids are like puppies!

Valerie said...

HA! At least they are not twins, and you wanted a while before having Chase.

Valerie said...

I mean waited a while!

agirlnamedgay said...

THAT IS TOO FUNNY. WE'RE TALKING EXACT DRINKING POSITION AND EVERYTHING. THEY ARE DEFINITELY RELATED!

Kady said...

Whenever Cal asks for a dog, I say, "If I wanted to take care of another thing, I'd have another kid." Now my thoughts are confirmed. Although, they are both adorable!

Liz said...

This is too funny. But it is too true too! Hailey eats our dogs food and I have caught her a few times walking around with the bowl drinking water out of it. I figure the saying that a dogs mouth is cleaner than ours is true...no harm done. Chase is adorable!

kelly l said...

love the pics. i always told you that bandit was just like having a baby. but don't get confused with all these similarities and think you can leave chase home by himself during the day. that's ok for dogs, for kids, i think you'll find yourself in a new home with no windows or hot food.

Holly said...

so funny! Chase is quite observant of bandit. you should start making Bandit use the toilet so potty training will be easier.

a{Jo} said...

Haha--so funny!

Jen said...

I'm so glad you are dog people! I think pups really do give you a prep course in many things before little kids come along. They FOR SURE test your patience, let you know if your "parenting" is working or not based on their behavior, and all the love they give....man I can't imagine how it's going to be with my little baby! WOW! Good post sista!