Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chase's Baptism




Before too much time passes and I forget, I wanted to write down a few special and favorite memories about Chase's baptism.

I've been thinking about this day for years, the day my first child would be baptized.  I can't believe it finally came.  I have been very emotional in the weeks/days leading up to it.  Partly out of disbelief that my little boy is growing up, and partly out of gratitude for what an incredible blessing Chase is in my life.

On a Sunday about a month before Chase's baptism, Matt came into Sunday School and sat beside me and told me he had just walked Chase to the Bishop's office for his baptism interview.  We both immediately got emotional at the thought of our sweet little boy being interviewed for such an important event in his life.

In the days leading up to the baptism, I started to feel a little overwhelmed with preparation for the event and the thought came to me that I would feel relieved when the weekend was over.  As soon as that thought came into my mind, I immediately felt ashamed.  I didn't want the stress over food preparation make me forget what was most important about the day and make me feel like I wanted to get it over with.  I wanted to cherish it, so I decided right away to not stress another second about any other details. 

The day of the baptism was a little hectic as Chase and Matt had to leave his baseball game early and rush over to the church.

I loved seeing Chase for the first time in his baptismal jumpsuit with a big smile on his face.

I loved seeing how excited he was as each friend or family member arrive.

I loved how he looked standing up there being introduced by a member of the primary presidency (who was my good friend Alicia), and waving to a few friends that were in the audience.  I loved how Alicia described his enthusiasm in primary.

I loved when the 3 kids getting baptized and their siblings got up and sang the song "Baptism" and how Chase sang the loudest and how Mia and Lyla got up to sing.  Mia had her arm around Lyla the whole time and Lyla sang every single word.

I loved how when Chase was getting baptized he started to bend his knees a little early in preparation of being dunked.

I loved how Matt got emotional saying his confirmation and how strong he felt the spirit.

I loved how Bishop Henderson said some very heartfelt things about Chase and said how his interview with him was one of the most memorable he has had.  I loved how he took the time to describe Chase's energy, love, and readiness to be baptized.

I love how many of our friends and family came to the baptism.  We felt so loved and so special.

It was perfect.

Chase is one of a kind.  I feel so incredibly blessed to be Chase's mother.  Heavenly Father has blessed me with the best little boy and I am so proud of him I could burst.

3 comments:

leigh said...

YOU BLOGGED!!!! Of course I got a little emotional reading this. Chase looks so incredibly handsome in her Sunday clothes, he is so grown up. I wish I could have been there. He is so special and I am so lucky to be his aunt.

Laura said...

I can't believe I just discovered you had posted on your blog. You will always cherish these words that you took the time to write down. I too got emotional reading this. There is something incredibly special about Chase and he is a product of two very incredible parents. Love you all

Laura said...

The previous post was from Ann