Saturday, December 29, 2012

the happiest season of all

One week ago, I was having a marvelous Saturday morning run, listening to Christmas music, enjoying all the decorated houses in the neighborhood, and just getting excited for Christmas a few short days away.  You see, I secretly, or not so secretly, believe I love Christmas just a little more than the average person.  It just really is the most wonderful time of the year.  And I was SO proud of myself this year for not getting myself all stressed out.  Every time I felt a little stress creep up the back of my throat, I just pushed it down and reminded myself that everything would get done and Christmas and all its wonderful glory would come whether or not I did every last little thing on my list.  And I didn't stress about doing every Christmas thing imaginable with the kids.  We just enjoyed.  We drank hot chocolate to our hearts content, watched The Polar Express however many times we pleased, circled the neighborhood to see the best lights as often as we liked, and even had a trip to see Santa to boot.  And although I secretly wished our house was the best lit house in the whole neighborhood, we spent some good time (and funds...sheesh lights get expensive), lighting up our exterior to something the kids could be proud of. 

And while on this glorious morning run, I thought about how terrible it would be to get sick on Christmas.  So, of course, guess who woke up sick the very next morning?  And has been sick the whole best week of the year? Like, too sick to get off the couch to enjoy some dessert Christmas Eve.  You know you are sick when that happens.

But, of course, Christmas still came - sick or not - , and was still wonderful.  Those spoiled little kids declared it the best Christmas ever as everything on their lists were under the tree.  (not so hard when the list contained things like 'umbrella' and 'candy' and Mia's only requirement was a princess baby.  But spoiled nonetheless).  I can't help myself sometimes at Christmas.  It's the one time of year where I feel like a little spoiling is ok.

And I actually stand corrected.  There may be one person who loves Christmas a little more than me.  That little boy of mine.  Who woke up at 5:15AM Christmas morning, wide eyed, dying to know if Santa had come yet.  And we forced him to wait 2 HOURS until his sisters woke up.  Oh, the torture.  And I think he had enough energy Christmas morning than the rest of us combined.  Times two.



So I finally regained a little energy today and took down all of Christmas.   It's funny how exciting it is to get everything up right after Thanksgiving, and then the day after Christmas even a Christmas-lovin gal like myself is just DYING to get it all cleaned up.  

1 comment:

kelly l said...

I'm sorry you were sick on Christmas, but at least you're feeling better. And I'm glad everyone had a good Christmas. And Lyla looks cute in that little pink car.