Monday, July 16, 2012

another check off the list

vacation by the beach....CHECK!

We knew we wanted to go somewhere as a family this summer, so Matt took a few days off in July and we planned on going somewhere near the beach (and I added it to our list of course).  But we are the worst vacation planners ever.  Two weeks before the time we allotted to vacation, we still had not planned a darn thing.  Matt finally got online one night, and we were lucky enough to find a little beach rental in Newport for the week we wanted.  We talked my parents into joining us (it was not a hard sell), Matt took a few extra days off than planned, since it was a week rental, and we had ourselves a great little family vacation. 
So I think I have figured out the formula for a great family vacation:
 - pick somewhere close (one of many benefits to living in so cal..)
 - invite the Grandparents to come along (I was loving the 4 adults to 3 kids ratio...sorry I know you all wish you had Grandma Ann and Grandpa Dan to take on your trips)
- have low expectations - don't go into this thinking your kids are going to have an amazing time 100% of the time and behave great and sleep great and be SO grateful that you took them on such a great trip.  Don't get me wrong, the kids were great most of the time, but then you can be just pleasantly surprised.
- pick a week that gives lots of sunshine at the beach whilst missing the triple digit heat wave at home (we just really lucked out with this one)


my least favorite parts of the trip:
- nightly midnight wake ups from Lyla (I hate sharing a room with a baby)
- running around Balboa Island in over 80 degree heat looking for a bathroom while carrying my 40lb 5 year old who had a stomach ache. 
- old people riding their bikes on the boardwalk who have clearly never had kids or can't remember that far back who shake their head in disapprovement at me when Chase didn't perform perfect passing technique. 
- whiny 3 year olds who insist on me carrying them everywhere (wish this was only a vacation thing)

see, not a long list
and now, the favorite parts:
- the kids playing for hours on the beach, even when we had taken back all beach toys and they just had water, sand and their hands.  Hours of entertainment. Beach toys are overrated.
- Mia running in the water by herself (HUGE improvement from last year, where she barely ventured in the sand)
- Cheese on a stick at the beach (I may or may not have had 3 total)
- Celebrating my Dad's 60th birthday with him
- Brief meet up with my cousin Brooke and her family who happened to be vacationing from Utah the same week (thanks Facebook), unfortunately we didn't figure it out til they were leaving town.
- Daily bike rides with Chase - I think he logged almost 30 miles on his bike.  I am sure he will tell you about it if you ask, he was pretty proud (and another check off the summer list....bike ride at the beach...CHECK!)
- Building lots of sandcastles (or watching Matt and my Dad do most of them)
- Meeting up with Dave and Caitlin and kids for dinner.
- Taking Mia for her first mani/pedi
- Beach sunsets.
- Riding Chase's razor scooter for 5 miles (5 MILES!) while he was on his bike. 
- Morning runs on flat terrain.
- Sprinkles cupcakes.  They lived up to the hype.
- Having Gay and Anneli meet up with us at the beach.
- Lots of treats and lots of good food. Vacation and lots of eating just go together, right?

I'm thinking this might be an annual vacation.  Anyone in?  But bring your own Grandparents, I am not sharing.

5 comments:

JS said...

That sounds like a pretty perfect vacation! Glad you had fun! I miss living down there. B.A.D

kelly l said...

I'm just really bummed that no one wants to plan this and invite us to come. But glad you guys had a fun week.

leigh said...

why must you keep insulting me!? i kept waiting for the least favorite things list to include "we missed having a fully family vacation because leigh wasnt around" but there was no mention of that at all...or what about thanks for sleeping with Mia so she didnt wake up in the night?? i think that should have been added.

Ann said...

Thanks for inviting us to come along. It was a great vacation, and would love to make it an annual thing. Must include the the Larson family next year and rent both up and down units.

Amy Sue said...

I'm in! Do I need to bring my own Grandparents???