Tuesday, July 12, 2011

the perfect day

Saturday morning, we were all piled in our bed, kids watching cartoons, and I asked Matt what he wanted to do that day. Itwas one of those rare Saturdays that we actually had nothing going on and could do whatever our little hearts desired. Matt replied that his perfect day would start with me getting up with the kids so he could sleep in, going on a quick bike ride, heading to my mom's to swim, getting lunch, having naps, riding bikes in Santa Monica, and grabbing some dinner before heading home to put the kids to bed. I said done and done...well, besides the whole letting him sleep in thing, to that I just laughed.



It all started great...swimming, lunch, naps (I even squeezed in a pedicure)... and it all ended well enough, but it is just funny how when you have little kids, you just can't hang on to that perfect scenario in your head.


We definitely weren't the only ones who decided to go to the beach Saturday afternoon. After fighting crazy PCH traffic, and realizing parking was $12 (twelve dollars?!?) , we parked at one of Matt's buildings for free a few blocks away from the pier. But this of course meant that after approximately 2 minutes both kids needed to be carried. And hauling a 2 year old when you are 6 months pregnant is no easy feat. After renting 2 bikes and a trailer for $28 (twenty eight dollars?!?) we were off. For about 10 minutes until the kids started standing up in the trailer (and me nagging Matt...why did you not buckle them?). And then for another 5 minutes until they were crying about being buckled. And then for another 10 minutes until they needed a snack. And then for 5 more minutes until another snack was needed. Oh, and there were only 3,256 pedestrians trying to walk all over the bike path. And I was trying not to think that I spent $28 for this wonderful experience. I think we actually brought the bikes back 5 minutes early. And by this time we were about ready for the long walk back to the car to go get something to eat.




At least we ended with some great fish tacos at Wahoos, and the almost hour drive back because of crazy traffic wasn't even half bad because we were all busy singing and dancing in the car.


You see, I am just learning to have low expections almost anywhere I go with little kids, and if it goes well I can then be pleasantly surprised, and if not, to not let it ruin an otherwise perfect day.

3 comments:

Silvs said...

Seems like there's just no way to win with kids. You leave them and do your own thing and either feel guilty not having them or miss them and think that they should be having fun with you, or you deal with them and then they make you wish they were just a little bit less like kids.

I'm rethinking this kids thing.

And is that not just exactly the type of thing you'd expect someone without kids to say?

kelly l said...

WHAT? the kids weren't perfect for your perfect day scenario? Craziness. But it sounds like a fun day anyway. And you can't ever think about how much money you spent on something while you're doing it because it just ruins it all. Mia and Chase looked like they enjoyed themselves. Your Saturday was a lot more fun than ours.

agirlnamedgay said...

You know what's funny about this? If you were to ask mia and chase about their saturday, they would say it was awesome and name one stand out thing that you had no idea was so awesome. I'm coming to learn that as parents we are in the business of making good memories. The sooner we let go of the details that made it "not great", we'll be closer to being on the same page as the kids. You're a good mama, laura! Wish we could have met up with you. Next time....