Tuesday, May 10, 2011

breakfast time drama

My 4 year old has a very crazy sense of smell. And there are certain smells that he just can't stand. And I am not talking normal smells that most of us can't stand... his are of food that most people would not be bothered by..in fact that most people like. Like take popcorn for instance. Most people think it is and smells delicious. It makes Chase gag. Which always makes going to the movie theater interesting. Not only are we not allowed to buy popcorn, but can't sit in the vicinity of anyone eating popcorn...which can be tricky. Another smell that makes Chase want to throw up is cereal. Now this is the most common breakfast food, I would dare say, in the nation. Including at the Anderson household. I actually had to finally stop buying Cheerios because Chase would lock himself in the bathroom dry heaving.


So what does Mia (and myself) eat for breakfast every morning? Well she INSISTS on eating cereal. So we have a little bit of drama every morning. Mia and I are confined to eating our cereal while standing in the kitchen:


Meanwhile, Chase is eating his pancakes at the farthest spot possible in the dining room.

And we are not allowed to go near him until we have completely disposed of any last remnant of cereal. One morning Chase thought the cereal smell was lingering on me so disgustingly that he was begging me to take a shower. In fact, upon picking him up at preschool that day he loudly proclaimed for all the other parents to hear: "I hope you took a shower".

8 comments:

B said...

That's it. Sign Chase up for acting classes and get him in some movies. It's time you make a living off how funny he is.

kelly l said...

oh that is so funny about the shower. and i like him sitting so far away in the kitchen. it still makes me laugh when he cheered in the car "yeah, no popcorn."

agirlnamedgay said...

wow. i mean wow. what do you do?!! glad you're finding remedies.

BBS said...

Oh, how that boy makes me smile!

Ann said...

Your post reminded me of a time last fall when Chase and Mia were at our house on a Saturday morning and he started freaking out in the family room and ran upstairs. I found him in the corner of our bedroom. I asked, "Chase are you okay?" He replied, "Grandpa is eating cereal."

leigh said...

i love how both you and kelly posted about my two funny buddies! that kid is a crack up and kinda interesting. lets hope he grows of that one soon.

Amy Sue said...

What a funny kid! Going to the movies would suck if you didn't like the smell of popcorn. Good luck with that!

Sheena said...

I can't stop laughing!