
So I know it's a new year which is supposed to make me feel all renewed and motivated and blah blah blah. But I will be honest. I have been in a slump. Maybe it's post-holiday depression. Maybe it's been that I have been sick for like 2 weeks. Maybe it's all the pressure to make goals that are giving me anxiety. Whatever it is, I have felt, well, just blah.
And here is the thing about being a stay at home Mom. (It is great, obviously and honestly.) But putting that aside. It is hard. It is tiring. It is monotonous. It is lonely. And in my blah and sickly week I have been thinking about what things make my day a great day. Because sometimes I just have crappy days. So I wanted to write down all the things that make a stay-at-home-day a great one. Maybe it will help someone. Maybe it will help me. (and I am not saying I do these things everyday - but if I do - it is a good day).
- do some form of physical activity. weights, gym, running, pilates. whatever works for you. for me, preferably first thing in the morning. my day is already off to a good start.
- do one productive thing in my day. I know a lot of time we say that we should put off all the cleaning, chores, dishes etc. and spend more time with the kids. I couldn't agree more. BUT if I do at least ONE productive thing that day, I feel better. 30 minutes of cleaning right after breakfast while the kids are full, happy, and not fighting. I already feel like I can relax the rest of the day.
- shower (I didn't say wash my hair, but at least shower), put on some clothes (something that is NOT sweats or PJ's) and put on (if not just a little) make-up. I am telling you, you WILL feel better. It doesn't matter if you are only going to Target. Just do it.
- get those kids out of the house. I know sometimes it feels like a great idea to say, let's just stay in all day. Especially if it is too cold, too wet, too windy. But that great idea is going to be a nightmare come 3pm. Go somewhere. If not just to the park, the mall, mcdonalds, the carwash, target, the library, the front yard to ride bikes. preferably in the morning and in the afternoon. don't worry about too much cleaning or things to do around the house. just go.
- a little down time. maybe just 20 minutes of reading, internet surfing, or a nap. I will feel rejuvenated the rest of the day. (and I never feel guilty letting the kids watch a little t.v.)
- a little down time. maybe just 20 minutes of reading, internet surfing, or a nap. I will feel rejuvenated the rest of the day. (and I never feel guilty letting the kids watch a little t.v.)
- if my day is starting to feel "hard", just forget anything I need to "get down", sit down, and play. build trains, build a fort, play a game, make up a dance, play dress up, read books. I guarantee the day will get better and the kids will be happy.
- a fast and stress free dinner. that I know the kids will eat. I am done, done, done making complex meals that the kids refuse to eat. I am all about quick prep, low maintenance, kid friendly meals. this does not mean we have to eat chicken nuggets every night. but I don't think fine cuisine is in our immediate future.
There you have it. This is what makes my life a happy one. I guess you can just go ahead and call this a goal.
2 comments:
Thanks for that great post! I too have been having a hard time the past couple of weeks. I actually still have my tree up because I know it will take hours to pack up each ornament and right now I just am not up to it. I liked your tips and I think I will try them! Good luck to you this new year.
I couldn't agree with you more. I must shower and get dressed every day...if not I just feel gross all day. And staying in all day, I don't know how people do it. It's so lonely and boring. We go somewhere everyday or I go crazy. Man, we should be better friends.
Post a Comment