Thursday, October 28, 2010

rolling with the punches

We arrived at our gate at 5:30pm at the Salt Lake City airport Sunday night, kids in tow, ready to go home. I was pleased that we had enough time to take Chase to the bathroom, change Mia's diaper and have about 10 minutes to spare before boarding. Confused as to why our departing gate read "Las Vegas", I got up to inquire at the desk if we were at the correctgate, to which I received the response: "Oh, you haven't heard, that flight is 3 hours delayed."

He might as well had just told me we had to stay at the airport for a week. That is how ok I was with the situation.

When I went back to report to Matt, he was equally, if not more, upset. But about having to miss his fantasy basketball draft. This made me all the more angry.

After a few minutes of fuming and stomping about, I sucked it up and decided it wouldn't be the end of the world. We would recover. I am just not that go-with-the -flow type of Mom. But I am trying to relax in not so perfect situations.

And between the airport play area, the moving walkways, pizza, and running around the terminal, the kids were just as happy as if they were at disneyland.

And I tried to relax on the flight. Even if Mia decided she would not sleep the entire flight. And even if there was so much turbulence I thought we were all going to die. Chase still thought it was disneyland as he had his hands up in the air the whole time the plane jerked, dropped and rocked yelling "look, my whole body is moving!"

And I tried to keep my cool even though it took our shuttle bus an hour to get out of LAX. I was relatively calm through the excessive honking of our bus driver while I had 2 sleeping children (ok, maybe I yelled at him at the end and maybe he didn't get a tip).
And I was even ok with the kids still waking up at 7am despite us getting home at 1230. Because you know what? we survived. And they both took nice long naps.
You see, I am trying.

4 comments:

leigh said...

wait, and i was under the impression it was all because i was there for more entertainment and to carry your child.

kelly l said...

I like that Chase said "look my whole body is moving." I think my kids would've been crying. I'm glad you survived.

JS said...

I love that Chase had so much fun on the plane. .. My whole body is moving! That is hilarious!

Glad you survived. I too hate to not be in control of the situation!

Shumway FAM said...

I'll have you know, i just busted a gut at Chase holding his hands up in the air, saying his whole body was shaking from the turbulence. I love you guys.