So to copy Val's Flash Back Friday (and I need some new material to post to get ya'll off my back), I thought I would start a "remember when" segment to reminisce on something from the past. I will not promise this segment weekly, but will do it occasionally. In honor of everyone's "how we met" and first date stories, I thought I would start with me and Matt's first date.
To set up the scene, I will have to start back in November of 2001 when I first met Matt when I was home from BYU for Thanksgiving break. Matt was going to the singles ward in my home stake (he had transferred to CSUN), and was friends with Melissa and Holly (formerly) Kuhn. We met at a singles dance and then raced to Melissa's house after the dance (I might have been driving my Dad's mustang). I think I won the race. At Melissa's house we all watched a movie and I asked Matt to play with my hair....and then fell asleep, and then went home without really talking to him. I didn't see him again until Christmas break when Melissa invited him over to hang out with us at my house. I think Matt spent the whole night talking to my parents and my mom wrote his phone number down to have him over for dinner sometime (which Matt complains they never did). After he left my mom said "Laura, Matt is so nice... maybe if you and Melissa weren't so annoying he would like you". Which I replied "I don't care because I don't like him." Fast forward to April 2002 and I was getting ready to come home for the summer. Holly called me up and said "So Matt Anderson thinks he is going to date you this summer", to which I replied "Whatever... he thinks wrong". The audacity, huh? However, I was of course now intrigued and wanted to go to places he was going to be. Finally in June he decides to ask me out for the following weekend. I agreed because I was now a little interested and I was not doing much other dating over the summer. A couple of days before our date Holly informed me that Matt had completely shaved his head (as a dare or something I think) and now I had to be seen with him looking like a dork. The day before the date was to happen, I was talking to my friend Dave on the phone and he was telling me I had to come down to Irvine to go to his sister's wedding the next day. I was very set on going and as we were making plans I remembered I had a date with Matt. I told Dave I had a date but that I would definitely get out of it and come down for the wedding. That night I went to the singles dance where I was planning on telling Matt that something came up and I couldn't make the date. But when I saw him and he was excited for our date, I felt too bad to cancel. I always say that was the moment of fate in my life because had I canceled, Matt is stubborn and prideful enough that he probably would not have asked me out again.
So finally to the date itself. It was June 22, 2002 and a Saturday night. Matt picked me up and I made Leigh answer the door. I think Leigh was about 15 or 16 at this time and she ran to come tell me how cute she thought Matt was. We walked out to Matt's snazzy Toyota Corolla and he starts blasting some Enrique Iglesias for me. ( I know, what a dork, but at the time I think I thought he was pretty cool). We start driving to our destination and I just start talking talking talking (I know, hard to believe) and after we had been driving for A WHILE, I finally ask Matt where it was we were going. He informed me that we were going to City Walk, and then admitted that he missed the freeway he was supposed to get on... TWICE!! So we went the really, really long way to city walk. We finally get there, park the car and start walking to the restaurant (BB Kings). When we were almost to the restaurant Matt realized he forgot his wallet in the car ... at which point I offered to just pay, but of course he ran back to the car to get it. Despite the rocky start, the rest of the night went by smoothly. We couldn't believe how much we had in common (we discovered our mutual love for Depeche Mode and Erasure) and we didn't stop talking the whole night. We picked up some ice cream on the way home and then he hung out at my house for a while before going home. I remember being disappointed he was leaving so soon (even though I think by this point it was well after midnight) and also thinking that it was the best date I ever had. After that day we were pretty much inseparable the rest of the summer...and the rest is history (or at least a story for another day).
To set up the scene, I will have to start back in November of 2001 when I first met Matt when I was home from BYU for Thanksgiving break. Matt was going to the singles ward in my home stake (he had transferred to CSUN), and was friends with Melissa and Holly (formerly) Kuhn. We met at a singles dance and then raced to Melissa's house after the dance (I might have been driving my Dad's mustang). I think I won the race. At Melissa's house we all watched a movie and I asked Matt to play with my hair....and then fell asleep, and then went home without really talking to him. I didn't see him again until Christmas break when Melissa invited him over to hang out with us at my house. I think Matt spent the whole night talking to my parents and my mom wrote his phone number down to have him over for dinner sometime (which Matt complains they never did). After he left my mom said "Laura, Matt is so nice... maybe if you and Melissa weren't so annoying he would like you". Which I replied "I don't care because I don't like him." Fast forward to April 2002 and I was getting ready to come home for the summer. Holly called me up and said "So Matt Anderson thinks he is going to date you this summer", to which I replied "Whatever... he thinks wrong". The audacity, huh? However, I was of course now intrigued and wanted to go to places he was going to be. Finally in June he decides to ask me out for the following weekend. I agreed because I was now a little interested and I was not doing much other dating over the summer. A couple of days before our date Holly informed me that Matt had completely shaved his head (as a dare or something I think) and now I had to be seen with him looking like a dork. The day before the date was to happen, I was talking to my friend Dave on the phone and he was telling me I had to come down to Irvine to go to his sister's wedding the next day. I was very set on going and as we were making plans I remembered I had a date with Matt. I told Dave I had a date but that I would definitely get out of it and come down for the wedding. That night I went to the singles dance where I was planning on telling Matt that something came up and I couldn't make the date. But when I saw him and he was excited for our date, I felt too bad to cancel. I always say that was the moment of fate in my life because had I canceled, Matt is stubborn and prideful enough that he probably would not have asked me out again.
So finally to the date itself. It was June 22, 2002 and a Saturday night. Matt picked me up and I made Leigh answer the door. I think Leigh was about 15 or 16 at this time and she ran to come tell me how cute she thought Matt was. We walked out to Matt's snazzy Toyota Corolla and he starts blasting some Enrique Iglesias for me. ( I know, what a dork, but at the time I think I thought he was pretty cool). We start driving to our destination and I just start talking talking talking (I know, hard to believe) and after we had been driving for A WHILE, I finally ask Matt where it was we were going. He informed me that we were going to City Walk, and then admitted that he missed the freeway he was supposed to get on... TWICE!! So we went the really, really long way to city walk. We finally get there, park the car and start walking to the restaurant (BB Kings). When we were almost to the restaurant Matt realized he forgot his wallet in the car ... at which point I offered to just pay, but of course he ran back to the car to get it. Despite the rocky start, the rest of the night went by smoothly. We couldn't believe how much we had in common (we discovered our mutual love for Depeche Mode and Erasure) and we didn't stop talking the whole night. We picked up some ice cream on the way home and then he hung out at my house for a while before going home. I remember being disappointed he was leaving so soon (even though I think by this point it was well after midnight) and also thinking that it was the best date I ever had. After that day we were pretty much inseparable the rest of the summer...and the rest is history (or at least a story for another day).
This was the very first picture I have of Matt & I. His hair had slowly started to grow back by then. It was July 4, 2002. Matt even brought me flowers that day for the 4th of July....ahhhh, the early dating days.
7 comments:
Finally,a new blog. You guys look like babies! So long ago....Its been what 4 years now. When are you gonna post some of our stories we wrote on church programs. Classic!!
How sweet...Flowers on the 4th of July. Has he kept up this tradition? What kind of flowers did he get you this year? Or does he think that since you're married he is off the hook? Guys!
um, let's see, since we have been married getting flowers are for very rare occasions. Matt always claims that I say I don't want flowers because they are a waste of money. Although at some point I may or may not have said this, I always tell Matt that ALL girls like flowers and he is not supposed to fall for lines like that. Is anyone ever upset when their husband brings home flowers??
I love it! I absolutely love hearing these real life love stories. It happens all the time... we remember the details and we fall in love all over again!
Shaved head=dork, huh? I don't know how I feel about that.
love the story! i'm so glad to see you're doing so well. you and your family are adorable! by the way, it's so not fair that you don't even look like you had kid!!!
I can't believe you remember the exact date of your 1st date. I'm impressed. I think I could figure out the date that I first met Wade, but I would have to look at a calendar. And oh yeah, your story is so so super sweet. I think you need to update you and Matt's story with the full version with all the break-ups and other boyfriends. Whoops!
Post a Comment