We kept telling Mia that the baby would come before her birthday. I bought all of her presents way in advance, and made some plans for a low key party - taking a few friends to Pump It Up - for the day before her birthday, thinking I could get my Mom or Matt to help with the party since, you know, I would have a newborn. But as we got closer and closer to her birthday with no baby, I started worrying they would have the same birthday, or that I would be in the hospital and miss her birthday. I didn't want her to feel like her special day was going to be overshadowed by a new baby.
It actually worked out great that I was able to take her and her friends to her party and celebrate her birthday. And she ended up having the best birthday weekend ever since her cousin Kate came and surprised her for the weekend with Kelly and Leigh - who were really coming to see the baby, but ended up just being a fun weekend - for me at least!
Again, I nailed it with a super easy (and cheap) party this year and the kids all had a blast. I took Mia and Lyla and six friends to Pump It Up (indoor play area) where they got to play for an hour and a half and practically had the place to themselves. After playing they gave them all ice cream and we came back to our house for some cupcakes and to open presents - after which they all promptly left my house.
That night Kate made her surprise visit and the morning of her birthday Mia picked McDonalds for breakfast and Kate gave her a matching "best day ever" shirt to wear for her special day. We picked Mia up from school with a bunch of balloons and she enjoyed playing with her cousin all afternoon. She chose Pick up Stix for dinner, and then presents and cake at home. I outdid myself with a beauty of a cake too.
She was so thrilled with her presents, which were all really simple (read: inexpensive) and included hula hoops and a jump rope. She had been asking for hula hoops since she learned at school and it is one of my new favorite things to watch her little hips shake as she hula hoops. She was really proud of her weekend hula hooping record of 5 minutes and 30 seconds. And with a little cousin pressure from Kate, she FINALLY learned how to ride her bike with no training wheels and has quickly become a pro.
Mia is really such a joy to have in our family. She may be a little (a lot) dramatic at times, and stubborn to the max, but she makes up for it by her many wonderful qualities that continue to bloom as she gets older. She is sweet and sensitive. She is really funny and super silly. She is still shy around people she doesn't know, but really becoming quite chatty at school. She is always good at school and church and I never have to worry about bad behavior away from home. She loves to dance and sing. She is always singing songs with Lyla or making up her own songs. I loved watching her in her Kindergarten performance. She sang every song and had a huge smile on her face the whole time. She has the best smile ever! I love when she wants to sit and chat with me about her day. She loves being able to do things independently - like make her own food or learn how to do her own ponytail. She is really brave and willing to try new things - sometimes more so than her big brother. She is a great big sister to Lyla - even if she bosses her around a bunch - and it's been so fun to see her with Olivia. She is the best at holding her and loves her so much. I am so lucky to have Mia.
2 comments:
I feel so lucky to have Mia too!
Mia really is so sweet and I think her sassiness just adds to her great personality. I love her sweet voice and the way she says some words. And don't forget she has the best size hands to hold and so soft!
Post a Comment