The night after you turned six years old, you fell asleep in the car on our way home. This little momma of yours struggled to carry up your big six year old self out of the car and into your bed. Struggled, like I actually couldn't really do it and made you sleep walk most of the way upstairs. You growing up and getting all big makes me feel pretty weepy. Your birthday is a reminder of just how fast these years are going. Everyone warns you how fast it goes, and indeed it does.
It's been a little rough sending you to kindergarten this year and out of my 24/7 care and influence. One of my favorite parts of the day is at 1pm when you walk in the door and have big hugs for all us girls left at home. But as hard as it is having you grow up and be away from me, I love watching you learn and grow and find your own way. Even when it's hard when you tell me you lost two recesses and had to sit against the wall and I want to give your teacher a piece of my mind for doing that to my sweet boy. Or when a kid in your class tells you there is no Santa and I want to punch him (or his mom) in the face. At least all this learning makes for some good heart to hearts.
It is so great to see you learn. My absolute favorite part of your birthday was the day before when you came home from school and went straight to work on some project. You came to me some time later to show me a book you wrote all on your own - seven pages with a front and back cover, fully illustrated and written in complete sentences spelled out the best you could - all about your sixth birthday. I will keep this book forever.
I love your curious mind and thirst for new knowledge. I love looking up stuff together all the time and learning new things myself. I love your growing testimony and your desire to do what is right. I love that your primary teacher included a sweet story about you in her testimony last week about how you insisted on drawing your temple white and wondered how Captain Moroni became an angel.
I love seeing you become a little athlete. I love your passion for baseball and how excited you are for your Dad to be your coach. And I know your Dad loves when you want to watch a Laker game with him or when you choose to watch the 1981 Dodger World Series as your movie when you are sick.
And although you are my sweet boy with a heart of gold, I do dislike the slight attitude that is accompanying the age of six. Can't we hold off on that for a few more years? And although you are still so sweet to your sisters, I see you outgrowing playing with Mia as your interests are shifting more to sports and video games, and less to playing house and mailman. And although it is inevitable, it still makes me sad. I hope you can always hold onto your relationship with her.
No matter how big you get, you better believe I will always hug and kiss you and hold your hand. Maybe not always in front of your friends, but always. Coming from a family of all sisters, this mother-son relationship is still new to me. But it is so special. You are my boy and have a special little place in my heart. I love you to infinity, squared.
Love, Mom
3 comments:
Two comments: one. Seth has outgrown "playing" with his sister. It's rare that they knowingly do something together, but I think they'll come full circle some day and they'll realize how much they love each other (Drew will still play with Ella though). two: (this will make you feel better) Seth will still hold my hand sometimes (like at Disneyland) and he gives me hugs every night (unsolicited) before bed and he loves to tell me lots and lots of details about his days. Life changes, but it's always great being a mom at every stage. And I promise, you won't want Chase playing mom and house with Mia for much longer. Trust me, I've seen a few boys in the 5th grade who only play with girls and it's a bit scary.
As soon as I saw the title of this I thought "oh no" cause I knew I was gonna cry. He is the sweetest boy and everyone should have a Chase.
You made me cry!! Chase is a sweet boy!! Love him dearly.
Post a Comment