Thursday, January 24, 2013

customer service

There are certain places I frequent not only because I happen to love them, but also because their customer service is phenomenal. 
Trader Joes - you all know my love for TJ's, but I have never met an employee that wasn't over the top helpful and super friendly.
the Habit - complimentary drinks and ice cream, setting up a table for us, checking on us, walking me to my car with my drinks because my hands were full. 
Chick Fil A - coming by to give me a refill and always setting up my fave table when I walk in.
Wendy's - are you shocked?  Cuz I was.  This is a new find for me.  They open the doors when they see me getting out of my car, they refill my drink when it's not even half way drunk, and I got 2 complimentary frosties this week.

Needless to say, I will keep giving these fine establishments my business.
But of course, there are the places that just have terrible customer service, but I will keep going back week after week out of necessity. 

Like Target.

I have been fed up with Target's customer service (or lack there of) for a while now.  For instance - there was the time I arrived shortly after 8AM with my two girls.  There was a young kid bringing in carts from outside (since they never bring in the carts the night before and choose to leave them out to get nice and wet for all us early morning customers).  Mia, of course, insisted on the huge double seated suburban cart.  You know, the one that you have to make eight point turns with.  Of course there were none in the store, so I asked the young kid if he saw any in the parking lot. 
"Nope, they must be already taken." 
Right.  You know, for the five other Moms that just got there two minutes before me.  Since I was unable to talk Mia into walking, we were forced to walk to the far corner of the parking lot to fish the double cart out that was behind four other carts. Which, obviously, was soaking wet.   I don't think the kid noticed - or cared - that I gave him the evil eye walking back in the store 10 minutes later. 

So last weekend I was doing a Target run, and by myself for once.  I got to the checkout and as I was loading up my items I noticed my flour had a hole in it.  I mentioned it to the cashier who casually replied that I could go get a new one if I wanted.  Oh don't worry, the food aisle is way on the other end of the store and there were people behind me in line.  I pointed out that I didn't want to hold up the line.  She offered to ring me up and then I could go get a new one.  Feeling fed up I finally decided to put my foot down with Target and their poor customer service. 
"Or....could you have someone go get me a new one?"  
"Well, we can try" she responded as she flipped on the flashing light. 
I am almost done being rung up when a sweet employee comes by to offer her assistance.  The cashier hands her the bag of flour and asks her to go get a new one for me. 
"But don't hurry" the cashier assures the helpful employee. 
You see, the employee is nearly 9 months pregnant.

So now, the one time I stand up to Target -   with not even one little kidlet in tow to feel justified -  I look like a total and complete jerk.  And as I wait I wonder if it looks even worse that I am flipping through Facebook on my phone while she finally comes back with my flour and apologizes for taking so long. 

Well played Target, well played.

4 comments:

B said...

I do have ONE good target story. I love shopping with people but generally am always by myself. I literally had a target employee spend 15 minutes with me smelling hair sprays and shampoo to help me decide which ones smelt best.

I love when you get someone that you feel like you made their work day more fun and they helped you shop.

I think it's good you asked Target to get you the flour. Serving makes people happier and they are making money doing it.

Laura said...

Brooke - totally agree, i've obviously had some good experiences there as well - like the nice ladies who help me wipe off my wet cart. there are always those diamonds in the rough!

leigh said...

HA cant believe you made her go get it.

kelly l said...

I think they should go get it. But that being said, I think you just live by more ghetto-employee Targets because the ones here have really helpful employees. Every time I see an employee in the store, they always ask me if they can help me find something. Obviously Target isn't good at creating that same atmosphere across all their stores. And I've only been to Trader Joes once recently and when I asked the guy about a specific cookie that I knew they didn't have anymore, he showed me something similar, opened the package and let us have one first. Wish it wasn't 45 miles away.