Independence.
It's something you look forward to your children having. Being able to do things on their own. That is, unless they are two years old.
I DO IT!
I can't tell you how many times I hear this phrase throughout the day. Enough to want to pull my hair out by noon. Simple tasks take ten times longer because of this desperate need to do every single thing herself. Getting in the car. Getting buckled. Pouring her cereal. Pouring the milk. Putting the cap on the milk. Turning on lights. Turning off lights. Brushing her teeth. Putting toothpaste on toothbrush. Putting toothpaste back in drawer. Combing her hair. Getting in the bath. Washing her hair and self. I think you get the idea. The list could go on. and on. and on. and on. I get a laugh everyday as she insists on taking the cap off her jar of vitamins, watching her twist the childproof cap around and around and around with a look of determination, not wanting to give in to asking for assistance. And every day she thinks this might be the day she could get that cap off. She spends her days carrying and pushing around stools to assist her in her self proclaimed independence. Heaven forbid I do anything for her. Not only would the result be a crying fit, but we would have to undo whatever I dared do for her so she could redo it. What's funny to me is that as we get older, not only do we outgrow this behavior, but we do a 180. What I would give to have someone make me all of my meals, wash and brush my hair, pour me a drink, put toothpaste on my toothbrush. It sounds like such a luxury. What if I got so mad at Matt for going downstairs to get me something that I actually threw it back downstairs just so I could go get it myself. (and yes, this happens frequently too). If only we knew how good we had it at age two.

6 comments:
that girl is something else!! but she sure is cute. however it doesnt surprise me at all that you want others to do things for you. since i have MANY memories of you making me and bribing me to do just about everything for you. i.e.getting things from your room for you or playing with your hair. sounds about right.
that's pretty freaking hilarious. and leigh, i have no recollections of counting to see how long it would take you to get us things. you are making that up.
I wish I could "like" Leigh's comment. And for the record, Leigh plays with my hair! haha! I love that Mia is so sassy!
Ha thanks Amy! Sounds just like Laura. And Kelly...ha! Please let not talk about counting while I race upstairs. If only I would have realized how many more m&ms I could have gotten by going slowly upstairs. Darn you older sisters.
I love the last paragraph. Makes me laugh.
TRUE, and well written. I remember my mission president pointing to a little boy in his mother's lap sleeping and saying, "What we all would give to be that little boy again." I was exhausted and wish I could be that little and that comfortable again.
Post a Comment