when I was a full time accountant we had two types of reviews at my place of employment. Formal reviews, which occured semi-annually and which you requested from your superiors, and informal feedback which is unsolicited and can occur at any time. I always looked forward to my formal review. You see, there is nothing like something tangible, with ratings (1 being terrible, 5 being beyond awesome), feedback, measures, etc to tell you that you are awesome (not to brag...ok a little to brag...but I was a work horse).I was a little sad when I entered full time momhood that this was not part of my new job. Little did I know that both formal and informal reviews are definitely part of the job of a mom.
Informal - unsolicited - are usually not my favorite. These can come in a variety of forms. family members (not excluding the husband), looks from those without children in the grocery store, the well meaning advice from a stranger. you know what I'm talking about.
And I just finished up a round of formal reviews.
First: Chase's first visit to the dentist. First, the interrogation of what sugary substances your child is consuming (and the slight cringe when I admit that my child eats a fruit snack everyday. Note to self: next time, lie). And the wait to determine the outcome of your parenting skills...is there a cavity? Review score: 4. No cavitities, I am a success.
Second: Mia's 15 month doctor appointment. Is it just me or do your palms get a little sweaty as the doctor drills you with questions of your parenting abilities. what time does she go to bed? how many naps? how much TV does she watch? does she drink juice? do you brush her teeth twice a day? don't tell me I am not the only one who lies just a little during this. I just can't take the pressure, the judgement. But there is a feeling of pride when I feel like I got the answer right with a "good job" from the doctor. Review score: 4. Healthy baby...and she will never find out that the first time I ever brushed Mia's teeth was the day before....or that of course I actually do let her watch TV.
Third: Visit from preschool teacher. Chase is going to school for the first time starting next week. His teacher called me this week to set up a home visit to meet Chase. Perfect, I thought. She will see right away what a sweet, smart, and adorable son I have. He will probably instantly be her favorite. The visit was set for 4:15 today. Chase ended up falling asleep on the couch around 3. I tried to call her to push back the visit...but could not get a hold of her. She arrived at 4:15. I attempted to rouse Chase. To no avail. Finally he somewhat woke up.....screaming, kicking, crying. The next 15 minutes was a mix of crying, grunting, and giving her the evil eye. I was literally sweating from embarassment. Review score: 1. Do you think its too late to switch classrooms?
6 comments:
Formal Review: Laura rates a 5 for being an awesome mother! No I am not biased
That last situation makes me laugh. That sounds like what probably happens to everyone. What preschool teacher wants to meet her students during the witching hour? I swear my kids go beserk between 4 and 6 while I am trying to make dinner. Sorry! That is no fun but you are a great mom.
I give you a 5 overall.
i LOVE that chase fell asleep on the couch right before the preschool teacher showed up. it always happens just like that, doesn't it? at least he'll exceed her expectations when he shows up for school on the first day. and i'm super glad that i have a dentist husband whose kids don't usually get their teeth brushed twice a day and a family-friend doctor from whom i don't get drilled on questions. sweet. and i love mom's comment. you'll always be a 5 plus laura. you just wish you could be as unique-looking as me though.
Here's what I thought about at the dentist today - even the dentists and doctors are not that hard core about everything. At the dentist my kids watch non-stop TV and at the doctor they always walk out with candy. We do the best we can and hope it all works out!
Post a Comment